Thursday, October 13, 2011

An Old Project Revealed...

I've been teasing many of you with an old project from last year, not to mention a new project but we'll come back to that later!

Today, I reveal just what the old project is...

A few years ago I made a trip to the Pasadena City College Flea Market and found an old mahjong box that was missing a front piece and the tiles. I've never played the game so I thought of a different use for the box: a Jewelry box*

The metal corner pieces have been removed and will be replaced after the outer box has been decorated; in the meantime, the other brass findings and handle look fabulous!

It often takes me awhile to start projects that I have in mind, so a few years passed before I was inspired to begin work on this project. I began with painting some gesso on one of the drawers, but since that would take longer than I wanted I just jumped right in with collage on the drawers, which you've seen in these previous posts...

I managed to get a photograph before I actually began collaging the drawers!

I've managed to collage all the drawers but I've gotten stuck on how to proceed with the main body of the box. I really don't want to paint it, but doing collage might be a bit tricky with the brass findings that are still attached to the top of the box...

The drawers collaged to coordinate with many colors of my jewelry - some of the paper I used was tissue paper and the effect appears to look like a color wash

Since I've been using this as my jewelry box, the project has been on hold, but now that I've shared it here, I just might be inspired to come back to it and complete it! I'll certainly share the final results when I do complete this project...


As for the other project I've been 'teasing' you all with, here is another sneak peek to keep you guessing...

This will be 'deconstructed' and added to the mystery project - I liked the prints of the fabrics in this shirt

Tomorrow is the big day I announce the winner of the 300 blog post giveaway and it might be YOU! Stay tuned!


* - Kathryn was the first to guess the project correctly! She's a smart cookie =-)

4 comments:

humel said...

Yay, it was indeed a jewellery* box :) That was my guess too! It looks beautiful; I hope you soon have inspiration for the outside of it xx

* English spelling!

Kathryn Hansen said...

i could definitely see rubber stamp images on the outside of the box!! see big painted flowers! almost graffiti like?!!

And thanks...altho the next project is a bit harder...a skirt?

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

What a wonderful use for it. I can't wait to see what you do with the outside. I like the idea of big bold flowers like Kathryn suggested.

The Creative Beast said...

OOH! Kathryn's idea does sound good! Thanks for your comments ladies =-)