Saturday, October 29, 2011

Meeting Mel...

Since my blog buddy Mel shared a picture of me she took during her trip to Los Angeles, I thought I'd share some pictures I took of her and her children during our visits and field trips. We had 3 visits in all: meeting each other at The Huntington Library, a field trip to Santa Monica and a field trip to Ventura.

Meeting Mel at The Huntington Library

I took this photo of me with Mel using my little camera - Mel's daughter was taking silly pictures we thought unfit for public use! ;)

I was so excited to learn of Mel's trip to Los Angeles! We were in communication beforehand and I sent along a list of some places for her to visit. Since she was close to The Huntington Library, we agreed to meet there for our first meeting and I'm so glad we did...it's a beautiful place to see.

"Two Scamps" on a bridge...

I also got to meet her husband and children, "The Doctor", "The Boy" and "The Girl", as Mel calls them on her blog. "The Doctor" was working at the Huntington so I spent most of my time with Mel and her children, who I referred to as the "Two Scamps" ;)

I know it wasn't always fun for the Two Scamps to follow behind two women running around art galleries and gardens but they managed to take it in stride and Mel is a very gentle and understanding "mummy"...

Photographed in the main art gallery at The Huntington Library

We made sure there was something more interesting and fun for the "Two Scamps" in our next field trip to Santa Monica...

Seeing Santa Monica

We began our trip to Santa Monica by stopping by a fantastic art spot known as Bergamot Station. It's full of art galleries, but the main reason I wanted to bring Mel to Bergamot Station was to stop by Hiromi Papers - knowing that Mel is a scrapbook artist, I knew she would love Hiromi Papers! Luckily, it proved to be interesting to The Girl as well...


One of the shop girls brings her little dog, called "Tofu", to the shop and The Girl loves dogs, as do I. The Girl enjoyed herself to no end petting "Tofu"!

After a lunch break, we made our way to the Santa Monica Pier where the Two Scamps took a ride on the carousel and spent time in the local aquarium touching various types of sea life in the tanks...


They really enjoyed the aquarium so I made sure there would be some fun entertainment for our next field trip to Ventura...

Visiting Ventura County

I knew we would have a long drive to see the city of Ventura so I brought many of my children's books from my collection of children's literature for the Two Scamps to read on the road, and a special book for all of them to enjoy while in Ventura.

I wanted to show Mel some of my favorite spots in the city of Ventura and she was excited to see The Fig Tree of Ventura with her own eyes...

Mel the Tree Hugger! It's a wonderful tree - I can't blame her for wanting to hug it!

Mel and I got shots of the children on the roots of this enormous tree before we headed to the pier. I brought a book for Mel and the children to read through as it involves things they each love: the seashore and cameras. The book is called "Flotsam" and it's written by David Wiesner.

Mel reading to The Boy and The Girl at Ventura Pier for lunch

While at the pier, we were surprised by a seagull having his lunch nearby. Mel grabbed her camera to catch the action and I photographed Mel doing what she does best: capturing the moment!

Mel photographing the seagull eating his lunch with me photographing Mel in action...

Watching Mel in action, as a photographer and a mother, was really great. She is understanding, patient and gentle - she really is a lovely "mummy" AND photographer.

Enjoying a book and scenery at Ventura Pier for lunch...

I'm so glad I got to meet Mel in person! Just think: if it weren't for Tinniegirl hosting Blogtoberfest, Mel and I may never have met...

Many thanks to Tinniegirl for hosting such a wonderful community-oriented event!! And many thanks to Mel for creating these wonderful memories =-)

Maybe one day I'll get to meet YOU, Dear Blog Reader!

3 comments:

humel said...

Oh, sweetie! I have tears in my eyes now :) I don't deserve such a beautiful post - but thank you! xx

Karen Wallace said...

Are you the one on the right? Cute picture. Hugs Karen

Eddie Bluelights said...

Great to see you so happy and bubbling with enthusiasm and energy. Real partners in crime there LOL.
I have a little problem for you to solve at my place but don't worry I shall literally talk you through it in a nice soft Brit voice LOL. Hugs ~ Eddie