Friday, October 28, 2011

Coloring Swap with Mel!

I found out about a really fun project being hosted by my blog buddy Mel of I Speak Melsh and I got lucky enough to be one of the participants!!

My stamped faces arrived at the end of last week and I could barely contain myself from coloring them in over the weekend, but weekends are usually spent with my dear boyfriend so I had to wait...but not for long!

Mel even decorated the envelope with the image I'd be working with. I knew I wanted to work with my color pencils, but I thought I'd begin with a small set of pencils that are meant for traveling with...


The first three faces were made using this set of color pencils, which are uncovered "leads". However the colors did seem a bit lighter than what I wanted, so I moved on to my set of Prismacolor pencils...


My collection is fairly large, which is not surprising since I've been collecting them for over 20 years with one Orange pencil I've had since I first bought it! There are still colors that I do not have, mainly because they are colors I don't work with very often. I love my Prismacolor pencils! I particularly like how intense the color can be when applied with pressure and that was what I wanted for the remaining faces on the first card...

I've got blondes, redheads and brunettes colored in this batch and there is a whole other page of blanks to work on! 

Here is an example of how bright the colors can be:

The eyes need a bit of color but I think the tones in the hair turned out nicely!

I didn't do anything fanciful in this first batch, but I knew I'd incorporate some fanciful ideas in the next batch...


I'm adding some diversity in skin tones and some "elemental" figures, like Water and Earth...


These are the Sun and Moon - I'll be adding skin tones to them eventually to heighten the surrounding colors. There are still blank faces to be filled so I haven't given away all my 'tricks'! I thought I'd share all the work I've done so far to give Mel a smile since I didn't share the notebook I've been working on for her giveaway prize ;)

Mel makes great scrapbook layouts and has a wonderful sense of color. I met her in the first Blogtoberfest I participated in and I got to meet her in person this summer when she came to Los Angeles with her husband, known as "The Doctor", and her children, known as "The Boy" and "The Girl". They are a lovely family =-)

Mel has informed me that she is sharing a layout on her blog for today that incorporates a picture taken of me with her children, which I want to say was entirely my idea! I love that she used that picture in her layout!!
I'll be sharing some of the photos I shot of our trip to Ventura tomorrow as a "companion piece" to her blog post of today, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Eddie Bluelights said...

Very fine work, Monica. It looks very professional

humel said...

Oh, my dear - these are fabulous! I can't wait to see them for real! But how am I supposed to part with any of them to send them to the other participants?! I shall want to keep them all for my own little book.... xx