Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Bottle Cap Embellishments...

I've mentioned making some bottle cap embellishments here before and being inspired by this post* from my blog buddy Mel. They really are fun to work on and I've slowly been putting some more bottle cap embellishments together...


The one on the left uses some paper from on old French novel, covered with a layer of clear glue and some vintage glitter I found in my grandmother's sewing room. The small heart was also found among my grandmother's bags of rhinestone bits to be used for her craft projects. I added dashes of red nail polish around the inner edge...


The other bottle cap uses new scrapbook paper for the center and more vintage glitter from my grandmother's craft supplies...


I glued two small buttons and added a dash of the red nail polish for a flourish! The small pink heart will be incorporated into another bottle cap.

Working with such small supplies is one reason for the time it takes to make these embellishments. I also like to layer glue on the bottom to smooth out the ridge that is often found inside the bottle caps. Here are two more caps in the starting phases...


If you look carefully, you'll just make out the inner ridge in the bottle cap on the right. They are laid out on my stove, on the center griddle since the pilot light for the griddle is lit underneath and gives just enough warmth to speed up the drying process without warping the surface of the glue, but it does take time to dry completely. I leave all my bottle caps in process there and here are two more that are nearly complete...

The one on the left uses some vintage gift wrap paper and tiny rhinestone trim from my grandmother's craft supplies. The button is from my collection. I think that it is fine as it is, but the one on the right still has something to be added...


For the small pink heart, I glued a small pearl bead from my grandmother's craft supplies with a scrap of organza underneath. The bottle cap used a bit of new scrapbook paper and tiny seed beads around the inner edge. The seed beads were part of a necklace I had made so it was easy to line up the beads while still on the bead wire. I can see that using bead wire to set seed beads as a border will be the best way to glue them down! The little lump of glue is to raise the heart from the surface and give a 3-dimensional effect...

I know many folks have been using bottle caps for sometime now and they usually use resin to cover the entire surface, but I like using regular glue so you can see the 3-dimensional quality of my bottle caps. It's like creating a small world!

Bottle cap embellishment made for the art book I donated for the City Hearts fundraiser - you can see the whole book in detail HERE and HERE

Of course, I plan to use these embellishments on some more hand bound books so stay tuned to see those come together in the next few weeks!


* - I always have to laugh at the title of that post - who knew something so great could come out of a blog post titled "Aaaargh!!!" It just shows how Mel can always find something positive to say =-)

1 comment:

humel said...

Aww, thanks sweetie :) Loving your bottle caps! I haven't made any in ages, must get my supplies out again :)