Monday, September 19, 2011

Project in Progress...

Hello dear blog readers!

Thank you all for your lovely comments and well wishes on my sinus issues. I'm feeling much better and the heat wave has gone so I've been able to start doing more clean up and clear out in my home, in addition to starting on a fun project that will be part of an art auction for City Hearts coming up next weekend...

I've blogged about my work with City Hearts, a great non-profit organization that provides art education to low income, at-risk children in Los Angeles. They provided great programming to the after-school program I used to work with until this past June. Though I no longer work for the after-school program*, my relationship with City Hearts has not ended and I'm very happy about that!

Last year, I was invited to create art for their special 25 year anniversary auction and I was very thrilled to have been invited. This year, I've been invited to donate something to the art auction which has a great theme for this year: "City Hearts Goes Green for the Arts". I decided to create a small art book of pages made from other old books. Here is how it looks so far:

The covers are made from scrap chip board found in the 'trash bin' at my favorite art supply shop - leftover cuttings are always up for grabs for anyone interested in them and this chip board makes excellent book covers...I have more plans for decorating the covers which I'll share when I've completed the book.

The spine will be an exposed binding...so far, I think the spine looks pretty cool as it is!

I'm using a mix of vintage, ephemera and new papers for the signatures of the book. I recently purchased blank sheet music paper, which can used for taking notes while you're out and about...I fully intend this 'art book' to be used by the owner...

Pages from chemistry books, graph paper and colorful scrapbook paper make for a visually interesting book...

I've also included blank paper and tracing paper for making sketches and notes of your sketches...

The back covers so far, but there will be more embellishment to come!

This art book is not very large, since I do intend for the book to be used by the owner, so I kept the size small enough to tuck into a purse or backpack. Of course, whoever bids for this book may choose to keep it as a recycled art object...

I've been working on this project since last week, while making time to do some cleaning/clearing of old video tapes. Yes, believe it or not, I still have a video tape player in my home! It came in handy to play some old videos I made of a great art show called EGG: The Arts Show. It was great to have playing in the background, to listen to people talking about their artwork and to see great visuals when I chose to look up from my own artwork. I've been trying to find this show on DVD, but no luck so far. If I can get internet in my home, I'll certainly watch episodes online, if I can.

I've got to run and finish the book so I can deliver it before the weekend! I'll share images of the completed book soon, so stay tuned!


* - YAY! I can't begin to tell you how happy I've been away from that horrid work environment!! ;)

5 comments:

Eddie Bluelights said...

Lovely project, Monica, and I applaud your creativity and enthusiasm for the work you love so much.

I too have a VHS video player, wait a minute there are two! We cannot record TV programmes any more because were were digitised two years ago.

Meanwhile I am living dangerously on my ladder LOL as my last post describes! They almoset had to play "The Last Post" for me! ROFL

Hugs ~ Eddie

Eddie Bluelights said...

Oh and glad the sinus problem is better.

oneartistjournal said...

So wonderful sweet Monica that you are still involved in this worthy important project...and I LOVE this book you've created...good happenings and events, enjoy...XOXOrly

Kathryn Hansen said...

very cool journal Monica!! It's so meaningful to be able to use your artistic creativity to help out charities near to your heart!!!

(ps...my boyfriend still has a video tape player too!! you're not alone!!)

Karen Wallace said...

Monica, Hello. Beautiful journal. Sounds like life is good! Hugs Karen
P.S,. I do not do online courses, but I work one on one through Skype with people.