Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Art at the Fundraiser...

It was my third year attending the fundraiser for City Hearts on Sunday and it was a wonderful event...

First, was a drive along Kanan Road with an overcast sky that promised a day of mild weather, instead of the usual late summer heat. Then, I spied some of the rocks that surround Saddlerock Ranch, the venue for the fundraiser...


There is always great food provided by fabulous restaurants and bakeries, but I was so hungry that I didn't think of taking pictures of the food samples, but trust me when I say that it was all very tasty!

Nic Harcourt is always there spinning great tunes, but this year there was the addition of a live band with singer Inara George. Her young son wanted to dance to the music as you can see here:

This little chap was highly entertaining and his mom was a pretty good singer too - it runs in the family I guess! ;)

She had a great sound and I'm hoping she will sell her music cd's on her website soon - it's great music to listen to while creating in my creative play-space and I want to buy from her directly if I can and support a local artist...

I made an attempt to support a local artist by putting in a bid for a recycled light fixture that was part of the art auction I donated my art book to:

There were two light fixtures and it was hard to choose one, but I think someone outbid me - DRAT!

There was a LOT of highly creative recycled art at the auction:

"Bag the Turkey" made from recycled plastic shopping bags!

"Colorful Fish" made from plastic shampoo bottles - it looks like painted metal, doesn't it?!
***   ***   ***

I had an interesting challenge come up the day before the event. I received a call from one of the ladies at City Hearts asking about the value of my art book. It was not listed on the artist donation form that is required before submitting the donation, so I didn't think about it until I was asked...

Here is how the "Going Green for the Arts" art auction looked at the fundraiser - so much creativity!

I got the voice mail late in the day, so I left a message at the office, hoping they would receive it before the event, then I emailed a message with the same information: "please list the value of the art book at $25"...

My art book had at least one bid before I left - I'm glad to know it brought in some money for City Hearts!

I got a quick response from Jane that she had listed the value of my art book for $60!!

I'm lucky to be surrounded by friends that know the true value of my work, even if I don't...

But it also reminded me that I still have quite a ways to go in the area of pricing my work for it's value...


I was going to list the value of this hand-bound, hand-crafted book for a mere $25?? What was I thinking??!?!?!

It is hard to figure out a price for ones work. There are the supplies that go into an item and the time it takes to make the item. This book was made from mostly recycled goods, but not all the supplies were 'free' and it took time to make it, especially after the first idea for binding it didn't work at all and I had to re-stitch the signatures afresh...

A nice binding, though not what I'd originally planned/designed...

Sadly, pricing artwork is not a topic discussed in art classes* very often, though it should be a curriculum all it's own. I've heard from many artist friends that it just wasn't covered in the course of their studies. I think it's a part of the lack of support that artists face when working toward a self-sustaining lifestyle and it adds to the difficulties we face when launching a creative business.

Now, compound the difficulties with people being reluctant to discuss this important topic amongst themselves and we have a problem for artists, indeed...

I can see that I need to find some resources that address this issue. I have to figure out this aspect of pricing soon since I'm scheduled to participate in a craft show the first weekend of November which is coming in a few weeks - wish me luck!


* - this applies to Fashion Design school as well as the Fine Arts...

5 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

sounds like a fun day!!

so many aspects go into pricing your work , like you mentioned...you just have to research similar work on line...and then adjusting prices as you go. i don't think many artists really get paid what their art is worth, there's just too many factors...like where you sell it..then you have to factor all those costs, whether it's on line (photos, listing it, cost of listing it) or thru fairs (booth fees, your time there, food, an assistant to help). it's a lot to think about and consider!!

Kat @ I Saw You Dancing said...

What a valuable lesson and a wonderful experience. The whole idea of "value" in something to precious and personal and subjective can be a slippery thing. So I admire you in grappling with it head-on.
Theres' so much to be gained from this, beyond the monetary aspect. Kudos to you, Monica!
xx

The Creative Beast said...

Kathryn, it's SO true, the myriad factors for pricing one's work! and I agree that not all artists are paid their worth...

Katerina, it is indeed a slippery slope when trying to separate the personal aspect of the work...

Thank you ladies for your lovely comments and support!!

Gwynnie B said...

Don't ya just love an artful day? Looks like you had a great time being surrounded by so much art in all its glory :)

Pricing art...a whole other planet, that's for sure! Still haven't figured that one out!!

Happy weekend, sistah =-)
Gwynnie

humel said...

I am wishing you so much luck! I hope that goes well :) And gosh, I wouldn't know where to begin if ever I had to price up any of my own pieces, but I'm pretty sure I'd undervalue it. I'm glad someone was on the case with your beautiful book so it was given the value it deserved! xx

PS Love that the word verification is 'monize'...