Thursday, September 22, 2011

Art Book Project Completed!

It's finished!

My art book project for the City Hearts fundraiser is completed, signed and delivered to the offices...

The front of the book...

I delivered my art book to the ladies of City Hearts yesterday afternoon and the ladies just loved it!

The back of the book...

All artists were asked to include a heart in the work as a reference to the organization, City Hearts. I added a heart to the back of the book, as well as the front...

My bottle cap embellishment to be used as a closure for the book - dyed string will tie around the cap to keep the book closed snugly...

Some time ago, I had been inspired by my blog buddy Mel to try out making some bottle cap embellishments. I thought I could make one for the art book and I like how it turned out. Many thanks to Mel for the inspiration!

A detail shot of the bottle cap book closure...another heart to denote City Hearts =-)

I've shown some book labels I made, with help from my friend Diana, who was kind enough to let me make up several stampings of her wonderful rubber stamp "hand crafted book limited edition". I've used the labels before on another book and of course had to use one with this book as well...Many thanks go to Diana for allowing me to use that fabulous rubber stamp! I hope to find a fabulous stamp like that or perhaps I'll create one for use on future art books that I create...

A signed and dated art book with a little help from Diana's wonderful rubber stamp for book makers!

Of course, no book is complete without a book marker and I made a simple one for this book using an old button, adding it to the braid trim and covering the back with a scrap of hemp linen. Scraps of linen were also used on the exposed binding...

My art book has an exposed spine, which proved to be difficult but it all worked out in the end!

My book binding for this book was going to be a mish-mash of traditional methods and funky contemporary ideas, but the funky binding ideas were not working at all and I had to undo all the hand stitching on each signature and start afresh. I hid the knots of the stitching with the linen scraps!

I also made up a tag with a list of all the materials that went into the book, which is tucked into the front page of the book...


I loved making this book - I've got to make one of these books for myself now!


I "heart" handmade books!

3 comments:

SueAnn said...

I <3 handmade books as well!! I haven't made one in awhile...you have inspired me!
Love your book...beautiful
Hugs
SueAnn

Gwynnie B said...

Love it! Now go make a little pretty for you =-)

Happy Autumn Equinox!!

xo
Gwynnie

Kathryn Hansen said...

it turned out really wonderful Monica!! you should make these and sell them in your shop!!