Saturday, August 6, 2011

TREES Art Journal - Pages Revealed...

Last weekend I was creating a lovely new journal on the theme of TREES, with Orly Avineri leading the way. I shared one of the first pages that I created yesterday and you can see the cover of my journal in this post. Today, I'm sharing a few more pages...

The first journal spread I created. It's a triptych, which is a form of art I love...

Yesterday, I had been playing some lovely rubber stamps my friend Diana has loaned me but I had not taken many photos of my journal as it looked by the last day of the workshop, so I am sharing some pictures of my journal before I make too many alterations to it...

Journal Spread Breakdown

This journal spread was an exercise in just being messy with paint and we were asked to crush up some of the branches or leaves we had collected in our morning walk on the first day. The parchment paper 'envelope' was made on the next day and in it are leaves I had found during that morning walk...


The little paper pages of trees I added yesterday but the taped 'specimens' were added during the workshop. The little dried specimens were actually remains from an amazing eco dye project that was lead by the lovely lady who hosted this workshop in her home for the weekend. Here is a detail of those specimens:

The specimen on the far right was originally a piece of Spanish Lavender until the dye pot stripped all the color away. I will share the results of the dye project in a later post...

Another specimen was found outside the front door of the home of our wonderful hostess - she has a hibiscus plant (it looks like this variety) that had dropped a few buds and there was still a bit of color in them, though most of the color is now gone:


The paper ephemera of trees was given to us by our lovely hostess (she was so wonderful!) and I added it to my journal yesterday, but I have more plans for those scraps of paper and I'll share them in the future.

paper ephemera pages are on the left - they are pages from what I think was an old Thomas Guide...

Here is another page/exercise we created a week ago today:

Another tryptych - this handmade journal had many three page folds in it...

The taped 'pocket' is my first time making a gel transfer and it was great fun to learn. I'll be playing with making more of those in the future...

The page was made by tearing strips of tape in half and laying them on the pages, then mixing some paint to cover the entire surface. When we pulled up the tape strips, they looked like tree trunks. Orly gave us white graphite paper if we had dark color backgrounds and asked us to to create hatch marks going across the 'tree trunks' to make 'branches'. She then asked us to make small hatch marks in ink on each tree trunk to give the appearance of bark on them.

I use the gel transfer on this page to hold the fabrics of the eco dye project as more 'specimens' and I'll photograph the page in it's entirety to share with you before I add to it. I'll also share the outcome of that dye project soon, but in the meantime, here is the only shot of the process I photographed:



I'll be back soon with more art journal goodness so stay tuned...

1 comment:

Mistea said...

I'm liking your purple page a lot! Trees are so fun in all their shapes and sizes.
Look forward to seeing more details on this page.
Enjoy creating.