Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday Shorts - Thought Provoking Video...

A dear blog buddy posted this interesting and thought-provoking video on her Facebook page recently and I wanted to post it here. Though it deals with a study done in Australia on artists and how/if they earn a living wage from their work, I found much of the information to be eye-opening...



I was particularly heartened to learn that 1 in 3 artists who applied for funding, received it! Those are great odds compared to the numbers in America. I also found it interesting that though the median income is lower for artists than the general population, the number of people becoming artists continues to increase...

It makes me glad to know that so many people are motivated to create BEAUTY in the world =-)

2 comments:

Diana said...

Wonder how the median total income (which looks like you could live on it) differs from the median creative income, which no one could live on unless they owned a ranch and grew everything they needed to eat. I also wonder what the comparable statistics would be for the U.S., which I perceive to value art less.

Anyway, it's all interesting!

The Creative Beast said...

Girl, don't get me STARTED!! Just seeing the median income for artists made me think I need to move to Australia - it's comparable to the median income for TEACHERS in the US and I didn't even earn THAT MUCH, working as an office drone...what's wrong with this picture??!? =-\