Thursday, August 25, 2011

My TREES Journal and Time for a Break...

I've been posting pages from my TREES art journal, made in a fabulous workshop lead by Orly Avineri and today I'm showing the last page spread...

Two page spread - "wall of pictures" and "rings of life"

We were asked to do an exercise that imitated the rings of trees - each ring representing one year of life for the tree. For the sake of space, we made one ring for every two years of life we had lived...good thing too, since I'm 45 years old and I'm not sure I could have fit all those rings onto the page!! ;)

If you look closely, you'll see me in the center of the rings...

I placed myself in the center of all the rings and began to surround the image with bits and pieces of favorite ephemera, photo copies and natural items from the morning walk of the first day. You can see some of the natural 'debris' in the close up below...

bits of natural debris, photo copies of tree bark and branches, music paper glued onto a sprayed background with plant life imprints...

When I looked at my rings later, I realized that certain words were surrounding me: "good feeling", "she wrote", "book" - all of them have importance in my life...


If you look at the photos I used for my "photo wall", you might see one that I've posted here before...

The three images grouped together: two trees from the old work neighborhood and the fig tree of Ventura - I love each of these trees...

This image is paper ephemera given to me by the lovely lady who hosted this workshop in her beautiful home - it reminds me of one of the trees I included in my 'wall of photos' and it will always remind me of our wonderful hostess...

The back of my journal with small page fold holding a scrap of sheet music

The cover of my journal is all of a piece, with the sprayed background and the spine made from paper ephemera given to us during the workshop. The cover holds my 'cinnamon stick', as Orly called it, which was some natural debris gathered on the walk of the first morning and bound together...I guess it does look like a cinnamon stick!


I really love how the front/back covers turned out on my journal!

 My TREES Art Journal made in Santa Barbara, 2011

I know my journal seems complete, but there are bits I'm looking forward to adding, such as some rubber stamping, written text and special stories that were shared...It was a truly amazing workshop with many magical moments...

***   ***   ***

There have been quite a few magical moments that have taken place this summer, not the least of which is meeting a fabulous blog buddy who has traveled a long way to be in California. She has blogged about our first meet-up here, we've had another meet-up she's talked about here, and we have one last meet-up before she heads back home. It's been great fun to meet her and to show her around some of my favorite haunts in and around Los Angeles. I'll be sharing my version of these amazing field trips, but that will have to wait...

For the next two to three weeks, I'm going on hiatus to "unplug" from email, blogging and Etsy listing! I plan on just staying at home, doing some house cleaning and watching favorite costume dramas, though I may do a little planning and dreaming for the future...

It's been a great summer and there are still some adventures to be had. I'll be sure to share them with you when I return after Labor Day - I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer!

Time for a break with a cup of tea - I'll be back before September 15th!

5 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

your journal looks great...i love the design of it...the way the pages fold out!

Have a wonderful break from the internet...i unplugged all last weekend and it felt good!!:-)

jan said...

Have a good break. I absolutely LOVE the tree rings page. Will be coming back here after work to have a closer look and maybe mess around a little too.

The Creative Beast said...

Thanks Kat! I'm looking forward to being away from a computer for a while...

Jan, I do hope you'll stop by my blog and check out my pages on special projects and the interviews I conducted - then it will feel as if I'm still blogging! ;)

Lorri Scott said...

Am loving what you are creating!

humel said...

Your journal is even more amazing in real life :) And you know what? So are you! Thank you for the wonderful and very special days we've spent together - I shall miss you xx