Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Submission for Great Big Stitched Postcard...

A few weeks ago I left a sneak peek of my submission for the Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap being hosted at Do What You Love. I was reluctant to share the full images since I sent my postcard one day before the deadline and thought my recipient might try to get a peek on my blog before it showed up in her mailbox ;)

I received word this weekend that my postcard for her arrived and she loved it! I'm so glad she loved it because I loved making it - here is how it came together:

This bit of fabric was found in my grandmother's sewing room - these colors make my heart sing!

All the parts of the stitched portion of the postcard gathered together: machine stitched fabric flower, hand made felt center to be anchored with the red button using my wool embroidery thread and decorated with leaves cut from an old but well loved favorite t-shirt...

The flower is now assembled and ready to be stitched onto the postcard...

The flower is stitched onto the postcard by hand. I love hand sewing - I should find a way to do it more often...

Leaves and stem are also hand stitched - I added a blue sky background with a small ink pad and I edged the postcard with a darker shade of blue...

I finished by adding a quote to match the theme of this swap, BLOOM:

"As long as we are PERSISTENT* in our pursuit of our DEEPEST DESTINY, we will continue to GROW. We cannot choose the day or time when we fully BLOOM. It happens in it's own time"
Denis Waitley


It's a great quote and I put emphasis on the words that seemed most meaningful...It got a little tricky to get all the words around the flower, but it seems I had more than enough to go around!

I'm so glad I joined in this swap this time around and I look forward to the next swap...maybe you'll join in too??

* - OOOPS! It looks like I mis-spelled that word on my postcard - sorry about that!

10 comments:

CurlyPops said...

It's absolutely lovely Monica - what a lucky swappee!

Kat @ I Saw You Dancing said...

Beautiful work, my friend!! A very lucky someone is going to find a lot of love and joy in their letterbox very soon.
x

Brian Kasstle said...

Your on fire with your posts! I love your trees journal! More pics! I have a few more trees pages to post as well.

The Creative Beast said...

Thanks for your wonderful comments everyone!

I also have one more page from my journal to share Brian and I hope to get to that this week!

Amelia said...

lovely! Thanks for stopping by. Look forward to having you join in one day with your wonderful creativity! :)

A.x

beth said...

Lovely! Thanks for sharing, and for joining in Monica!
Beth

Karen Wallace said...

Wonderful piece. Hugs Karen

Kathryn Hansen said...

so that went thru the mail without an envelope...and in one piece?!! That's very cool!! I love the piece and the quote is perfect for it!!

The Creative Beast said...

Actually Kathryn, I sent the postcard in an envelope; sadly the USPS would not have accepted the card with the stitching =-(

Mistea said...

Beautiful postcard. Lucky recipient.