Thursday, August 18, 2011

More Pages of my TREES Art Journal

I thought I'd share another page from my art journal created in Orly's workshop TREES, held in Santa Barbara a few weeks ago...it was quite an experience...

spray inks were used to create the background for this spread which included an exercise in drawing blindly - small pages were created from paper ephemera given to us by our lovely hostess...

detail of journal spread

I had not covered all the pages of my journal, handmade by one of the workshop participants, so I quickly added some spray inks to create a background of sorts and it worked out for the exercise that Orly gave us - contour drawing without looking at your page. It was a challenging exercise, but it was made a bit easier with the use of vintage carbon paper taped onto the page!

Orly instructed us to really LOOK at the tree and start with a contour drawing of the outline - then we turned the page around to draw a closer vision of the tree in front of us, then turn the page again and again as we got closer and closer to the tree. If you look closely at the next photo, you can see the outline of a leaves of the branch that was right in front of me...

you might even see the outline of the tree if you turn your head around this image!

The previous drawing exercise was on the other side of the spread but though I put the pencil down hard, you can't see much of it - I was glad for the carbon paper to make my drawing lines darker and somewhat easier to see. It made me realize I really should do more drawing...

I'll be adding more paper ephemera pages to this spread, but this is how it looked when the workshop had ended - I like this page quite a bit...but I do like white space in my work as I've mentioned here before.

I like it now but this journal spread will change soon...

There is still a page or two of my art journal to share so stay tuned for that!

5 comments:

Mindy Lacefield said...

oh what a lovely journal. orly is just fantastic!! keep up the beautiful work monica..xoxo

danielle said...

Wow! You have been creating so much beauty! There is so much movement in this work that I totally adore. I also have to add that you are TOTALLY a hat girl. Much love and happy weekend, Danielle xo

The Creative Beast said...

Thank you ladies for your comments! And thanks for the "hat tip" Danielle!! ;)

humel said...

Fabulous pages, my dear! Any chance you could bring it with you next week so I can see the real thing? :)

Kathryn Hansen said...

what an awesome exercise...love the results. i like how it looks now so will be interested to see how you change it!