Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Back to the TREES...Art Journal

I've been meaning to share more pages from my TREES art journal made in Santa Barbara a few weeks ago and I think now is a good time to do so...

I mentioned an eco-dye project that we all did in the workshop and the only shot of the process I got was this one:

fabric wrapped and tied tightly around small tree branches and a few loose eucalyptus leaves after the process was complete - it was ALL about trees that weekend =-)

We were instructed to lay some of the found leaves from our morning walk onto the fabric swatches we were given and then roll them as tightly as possible around the tree branches. Then we had to wrap and tie string tightly around our dye sticks. I did the best I could with the fabric wrapping but I can see that I did a better job of tying the string afterward! We then had two pots to choose from: one had fresh eucalyptus and the other had dried. Also, each pot had a different variety of eucalyptus, but I couldn't tell you which was which, so I thought I'd place one stick in each pot to see what happened...

Here are my finished fabric swatches from the dye project...

silk charmeuse dyed with eucalyptus leaves and Spanish lavender

you can see where the lavender left color and imprints on the silk - the eucalyptus created the rust color...

silk organza dyed with eucalyptus leaves - small leaves were placed on the fabric to make an imprint

If you look closely, you can see that the start of each roll is less defined in pattern and color than at the end where I could really tighten the rolling and the string! But I think the final effect is still quite stunning...here is a swatch made by our lovely hostess and given to me as a gift:

silk charmeuse dyed with eucalyptus leaves

I think this piece had just been thrown into a pot, but there is the imprint of one single leaf - it looks quite dramatic...


Orly encouraged us to use the left over leaves from the dye pots to add to our journals...

eucalyptus left-overs from the dye pots...I have stuff like this decorating my own home - it's part of my favorite color palette and I love anything made of wood from TREES...

And so I did...

Final journal page with gel transfer pocket, eucalyptus branches and leaves and samples of eco-dyed silks

I still have more pages to come, so stay tuned...

1 comment:

Kathryn Hansen said...

I LOVE IT!!! those came out so beautiful...how awesome!!