Monday, July 11, 2011

Dreaming of Artful Journey's Past and Future...

Tomorrow is registration day for the next Artful Journey Retreat 2012 held in the beauty of the Presentation Center in Santa Cruz and I'm so excited that I will be able to go!

I shared my experience of last years retreat but I never quite got around to sharing what took place at this years event* and I think today is a great day to look back on what happened in February...

As I did last year, I rented a car and a good thing too as it rained for most of my drive to Santa Cruz and it rained hard! I got a little nervous driving in such hard rain but when I got a patch of clear sky with a rainbow, I figured it was a good sign...

A full rainbow after much hard rain - a good omen on the road to the retreat!

I also received a call from my blog buddy Gwynnie and she told me she was on the road to the retreat so things were definitely looking up after that!!

Last year I got a ticket for speeding and I got lost on the way to the retreat, so I took a different route that I hoped would keep me from getting a speeding ticket, but it did not help me from getting lost!! While I was trying to figure out where I was, Gwynnie called me to find out what happened, knowing that I had been only a few miles ahead of her on the road. I'm glad that I had a wonderful friend from the retreat looking out for me! I also had the help of my dear boyfriend by cell phone and a very nice California Highway Patrol Officer also helped me get to the retreat with the use of his own i-phone! I managed to get to the Presentation Center before it got too dark...

Now that I have taken two different routes to the retreat, I think I will know my way around next year for sure!

Our fabulous "Hostess with the Most-est", Cindy O'Leary, planned a wonderful silent auction to raise funds for the sisters of the Presentation Center and I donated my original drawing that was published in Patti's Digh's book "Four Word Self Help". I had it framed but the only image I was able to get before the auction was at the retreat during all the rain...

My artful donation to help raise funds for the sisters of the Presentation Center...

I'm happy to say it raised some money for the sisters!

Classes began at 9am and I was so excited to be able to learn some new jewelry making techniques with Nina Bagley. Though the class was called "Heart Strings", Nina reminded us that we didn't have to make a heart! Since I like to do things my own way, I made a different shape. Here is what my work in progress looked like...

 
elements of what will become a special pocket...

vintage buttons and pearls from my personal collection, old silk thread from my grandmother's collection and tea dyed 'heart' lace bought from a classmate Lorri Scott - check out her wonderful goods at her etsy shops L.A.S. Fibers and Wayward Threads!

old rusty red embroidery thread belonging to my grandmother is added...

A special pocket to hold secrets or a treasured message...

I learned to crochet a chain with beads, to make resin papers and to create brass embellishments. Here are a few examples:
crochet beaded chain in progress...

snippets of resin papers for my small art-book and my "art-full" brass embellishment for my necklace...

I'm sad to report that I have not yet completed my necklace but it's definitely one of my summer projects and I'll be sure to wear it at next years retreat!!

I can't wait for registration tomorrow! I'm REALLY looking forward to being in Albie Smith's class to learn paper making and book making techniques. The results from her students last year had me floored and this year was no exception...

ooooh!

aaaaah!

OH! These luscious colors are making me DROOL!!! ;)

Is this enticing you to sign up for Artful Journey Retreat?!?

Albie Smith creates amazing papers in amazing colors and her books are so beautiful! The one I bought last year was used to take notes in Nina's class this year and it felt wonderful to use such a special book for a special class...

Tomorrow, I am going to be waiting for the clock to strike noon when registration opens so I can be the first to sign up for Albie's class!

And tomorrow I'll share some images of what the Presentation Center looks like with snow flurries and show you pictures of one the most beautiful shops filled with wonderful treasures - if you come to the retreat, I'll be happy to take you there myself!!

Stay tuned for more tomorrow!

STOP THE PRESSES! Cindy is hosting a fabulous give-away on her blog in anticipation of registration day - stop by and check it out and be sure to register for the retreat! =-)

* - Cindy shared some great highlights from this years retreat!

1 comment:

Kathryn Hansen said...

sounds really fun...except for the drive!!