Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Artful Journey's Past and Future - Part 2


Today is the big day!!

It's registration day for Artful Journey 2012 and there is a fabulous line-up of amazing instructors for next year but I've got my eye on learning some paper making and book binding techniques from Albie Smith who has taught at this retreat before and each time I see her work I say to myself:

I've just GOT to take her class next time!!

Well, "next time" has arrived!! Registration is taking place today, but I did say I would share some other stories from this years retreat experience...

In my post of yesterday I told a few stories of what took place during Artful Journey 2011 and rain was one of them. What I didn't get to tell you about were the snow flurries...

Yes, we actually had some light snow happen at the retreat this year! At first, we thought it was just hail, but that usually makes a sound when it hits the ground. This rain was thicker than usual and it hit the ground very slowly and very softly...since I live in Southern California, I don't usually have first hand interaction with snow so this was a rare treat and a beautiful one. I shot some footage on my little camera to share with you:

video


It did not last very long but it was beautiful while it lasted!

Another thing I promised to share were images from one of the loveliest shops in Santa Cruz called "Vintages". Last year, everyone kept telling me that I ABSOLUTELY had to go to this shop - I would just LOVE it!! As someone who collects vintage paper ephemera for use in my collage and also loves all things vintage, I had no doubt I would enjoy this shop...if I could just find it!!

I had made a few trips into town on my own last year and tried to locate this shop but it seems I had not walked far enough on Main Street. This year, I was guided by my Scorpio Sisters from last year, Diana and Gwynnie, who drove me to the shop to make sure I would see it and I was not disappointed! Here is what you will find at "Vintages" the lovely vintage and craft shop of Santa Cruz:

 A vintage dress form greets you at the door...

A wonderful display of vintage cameras were in the window when I visited...

A wall of luscious ribbons in various styles and widths - YUM!

Beautiful jewelry and dainty decor goods for your home are in abundance here...

Snow flurries and lovely vintage goods make for some magical times in Santa Cruz...and I can't wait to be there again!

If you're interested in being part of the magic and the fun of Artful Journey Retreat 2012, just click this link to Cindy's website and register today!!

5 comments:

Diana said...

Oh, I wish there were something among the offerings that appealed to me this year! Sadly, there isn't, so I guess I'm going to miss out on the fun. Just to spite me, it will probably be a beautiful sunny weekend (for a change...)!

Kathryn Hansen said...

i am sooooo jealous...sounds like so much fun! Albie Smiths work is so lovely and DJ Pettitt, who i adore is going to be there too! yup...really jealous!!

oneartistjournal said...

Very lucky you Miss Monica...you are going to play with lots of colors and textures and patterns and create fabulous little worlds on paper. Hopefully this time you'll get a few more patches of clear sky.

XOXOrly

ps. Isn't Vintages in Los Gatos?

Louise Gale "Dream-Inspire-Create" said...

Oooh lovely lovely I adore AAJ. But alas i cant go next year as ill be in NZ at a friends wedding, so will miss your lovely joyful smile. :-) Hope all is great with you. xx

Vintages said...

Thanks for the kind words about Vintages. We always enjoy meeting the folks from The Artful Journey and sharing in their experiences. Yes, we are in Los Gatos, BUT we are on Santa Cruz Ave (not Main Street). See you all in February. Bob & Susan