Thursday, May 19, 2011

Workshop with Orly - Learning to SEE...

I had the opportunity for more art journaling with Orly Avineri this past weekend and it was another amazing experience...the theme was "Journaling with the See-side in Mind" and we were instructed to SEE differently, fully and quietly...

We began with a mediation on favorite memories by the sea and we then began to create backgrounds for THREE journal spreads. I thought of three different beach memories and used those memories to create backgrounds for each beach I thought of, knowing full well that they would undergo some transformation before the day was over...

 
This spread represents Venice Beach, CA...

This spread represents my time in Portland, Oregon driving along the coast with my dear boyfriend...

This spread represents time spent in Ventura, CA, usually with my dear boyfriend =-)

We were instructed to gesso over parts of our spreads, to lighten some of the areas, but using gesso on three spreads got a bit sticky at times!

Orly then had us watch an amazing video which you can watch here:

This video is AMAZING! I could watch all day and still SEE something new each time...

She asked us to write down WHAT WE SAW as the video was playing out in front of us, but I was so entranced with the sand sculptures unfolding that I nearly forgot to write down anything!! Conversely, if I was writing down words, I was not SEE-ing the video in front of me...

It was a lesson in how we often distract ourselves from SEE-ing what is in front of us.

Orly had collected many sea objects for us to SEE and to work with...



It was hard to keep from touching each and every object!!

We each found an object to SEE and to draw from several angles. Here is my object and my renderings...

My see-side object...

...and two views of the same object using watercolor and ink pen...

Workshops with Orly always include delicious food and this workshop was no exception...

Mmmm! Colorful and delicious! What a handsome repast!

Orly is a wonderful hostess, as well as a wonderful instructor, and it reminds me of the times I would host small gatherings at the community college art gallery, when I had pieces on exhibit there. I love being in Orly's environment as it is colorful, art-FULL, warm and inviting and I hope to be able to bring those elements back into my life...

It was a great workshop and there was much to SEE and be inspired by!

***   ***   ***


Orly will be teaching at Journalfest taking place at Port Townsend, Washington in October - check out her blog to see what and where she's teaching or peek at her local teaching schedule if you're in the Los Angeles area. I also recommend watching her art journal videos - her work is just AMAZING and she is an inspirational teacher and artist!

3 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

very clever video! And an interesting workshop...I love her blog, will have to try a class with her some time!!

The Creative Beast said...

Kathryn, DO come out for a workshop! I think you will really enjoy it =-)

slommler said...

Oh how wonderful!!
Loved the video!
Hugs
SueAnn