Saturday, April 30, 2011

The last day of National Poetry Month...

It was National Poetry Month for April so I thought I'd look for a poem from my only book of poetry in my library. It's a pretty big book and filled with poetry from many cultures across many centuries. I figured if I would have at least one poetry book this would be a good choice and it has been...


It's been a few years since I've picked up this book to see what poetic treasures are still waiting to be discovered, but if you look carefully, you'll see many tiny book marks for pages of poems I've already discovered that became favorites...

many tiny snippets of paper acting as book marks for the favorite pages of poetry...

As I sifted through the many little book-markers I came across a poem that I think is fitting for this blog and this time in my life. It is a Toltec poem from Part V, Chapter 3 that contains Meso-American and Andean poetry...


THE ARTIST
The artist: disciple, abundant, multiple, restless.
The true artist: capable, practicing,  skillful;
maintains dialogue with his heart, meets things with his mind.

The true artist: draws out all from his heart,
works with delight, makes things with calm, with sagacity,
works like a true Toltec, composes his objects, works dextrously, invents;
arranges materials, adorns them, makes them adjust.

The carrion artist: works at random, sneers ar the people,
makes things opaque, brushes across the surface of the face of things,
works without care, defrauds people, is a thief.

Anonymous (c. 1450?)
translated by Denise Levertov with Elvira Abascal

A close-up of one of my art journal pages that goes nicely with the poem quoted above...


Happy National Poetry Month to you all!


World Poetry Day will take place on March 21 next year - I hope you'll join me in celebrating this wonderful art!

3 comments:

slommler said...

Happy poetry day to you too. Love the "Artist" poem.
Hugs
SueAnn

oneartistjournal said...

That's a great poem Monica, I love it, love your journal page, I would add that poem in it somehow.
You are that artist described in the poem, abundant. It is evident here on your blog, in your journal, through your words and passion in your eyes and body when you speak of art and poetry, and books, and..and..
Fantastic to witness..XOXOrly

chrissy said...

i am wearing your earrings today and they bring a smile to my face.
xo
c