Friday, April 22, 2011

Is this an art journal?

I've been thinking a lot about Orly's words regarding what makes an art journal since last Saturday's workshop. I'm not one to write down my feelings or events that happen to me in a book, though I've tried. But I do love to share my doings here at this blog, which could be viewed as an art journal of sorts, just using the medium of TECHNOLOGY, instead of an old fashioned journal book with covers...

My first hand made books I created with Wendy Poma, a favorite  bookbinding instructor...

The art book I created at last years Artful Journey Retreat was one that helped to me move into the realm of creating art-books, but I still didn't journal in them. I do create pages that have space for writing if I ever feel so inclined, but mostly I like to look upon my book as a collection of techniques learned and visual compositions that can be referred to and expanded upon later...

My art book made at last years retreat...

When Orly made the statement that making pages is also a way to journal, it really took hold of me and I began to think about some of the pages of my art books - I say BOOKS because I made a smaller companion book for the main book created last year. I will begin to share that companion book today...

Do these covers look familiar to you??

I don't think I shared the story about how I won a lovely set of old book covers in the class from last years retreat. They were on the table where Kelly Rae and Mati Rose were teaching and I'd been eying them for the entire weekend. Kelly decided to raffle them off and I won them!! They were beautiful aged covers in a lovely shade of burgundy, one of my favorite colors. It wasn't until I got home and looked through my copy of Kelly Rae's book that I realized something...

The rhinestones have been changed out and the window has a new image, but these covers are the same...

I won the covers that were used in Kelly Rae Roberts book "Taking Flight"!!! I changed out the rhinestones since one had gone missing and I had a pair of vintage butons to use instead...I have some other things I'll be adding to the cover later but let me share the pages of my book as it looks so far...

Art Book of Collage * Art Book * Art Journal

vintage buttons where rhinestones used to be and an image of a flower - I do love flowers...

I also love old maps and shades of crimson/red...

Elements of myself are on these pages...


I am fascinated by the power of Dragons and their mythology...
A blank page awaits on the right...

...an old piece of paper with watercolors makes the page on the left and paint chips make smaller pages...

...the image of the blooms on the right was photographed by me in the neighborhood where I'm working...until June 30th that is!

I love to coordinate colors together - a personality trait that is now within these pages...



I guess this could be seen as an art journal...what do you think? More pages to come so stay tuned!

1 comment:

slommler said...

Creating pages, I believe, is making a journal. And writing need not be involved. The images and colors and textures speak a language all their own. Your language!!
I love it!
Hugs
SueAnn