Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Is this an art journal? Part 4...

Hello! In case you've recently dropped by this blog, I've been conducting a series where I've been sharing art pages I made for a small art book and investigating if it could considered an art journal - I'm discovering that I have been journaling aspects of myself with each page I have created. You can read the previous posts here, here and here...

There a few pages left to share and one more I've been in process of creating that had not yet been photographed until the other morning! At this time, my book is not fully assembled, by which I mean that I have not 'bound' my book in any way whether by a traditional binding or by using small binder rings. I'm thinking that there may be a different way to 'bind' the pages within the book covers, but I'm not sure of it yet, so I'll keep you posted...

In the meantime, here are the last pages of my art book/art journal:

Art Book of Collage * Art Book * Art Journal
 
On the left, more red with butterflies and hearts stamped across the page - to the right, it's ALL about me!

This page is one of the most autobiographical pages yet in this collection...Many of you know that I began my creative life by sewing when my grandmother put a needle in my hand at the tender age of six. I've been sewing most of my life and have worked in the field of costumes in Los Angeles in many illustrious venues that are listed in this post.

This page contains many elements of a seamstress: pattern paper, images of dress forms and scissors, safety pins and buttons. There is also a snippet of ribbon sticker next to the ticket and a scrap of a book title "alterations on ready-to-wear". The image of the scissors is a copy from a deck of cards given to me a few years ago from a good friend called "Tarot of the Tailors" - it's a fun deck of cards and fitting for a seamstress and costumer such as myself!

But there is another autobiographical page on the other side of the page as you can see to the left in the photo below...

I love hats and handbags and am lucky enough to have rubber stamps of each that were used on the small attachment, stamped of course in RED ink!


I have a collection of vintage catalogs from an old department store called "B. Altman and Co." or "Altmans" that once belonged to my grandmother and I've photocopied many pages to use in my collage work as I've done in the lower right hand corner of the page...

I found several words in the descriptions of the items and decided to circle them in red ink to highlight the words: charming, special, smart, brilliant, effective, attractive...I am many of these things on any given day!! ;)

The other side of a "bookmark" page with a detail shot below - to the right is a page filled with bright juicy color...

Gold paint make up the dots on the 'bookmark' page...

The final page of the art book/art journal filled with juicy orange and pink colors and lots of green for GROWTH...

The End...or is it??? ;)

I'd begun to work on a new page for both art books and here is how the page looks for my companion book:

This page illustrates some of my favorite things such as favorite words, the color pink and my love of butterflies...the rest of the page is going into my larger art book which I will have to share soon!


This page is also an autobiographical one - I do love the color pink and I included some meaningful words and snippets of vintage fabrics that were color copied...

Lots of meaningful words and quotes are stamped onto small tags, some of which I hand-cut...the image is of me as a happy, smiling baby...

..a dainty reminder to "follow my heart"...


A color copy of the original photo of me tucked into a vintage envelope that was rubber stamped in pale pink and another reminder to myself...yes, this page contains elements of my Self all over it!

Here is where the page is being placed in the book now...


The new page is now nestled next to the red page and the pink page is next to the blank page that awaits me...


I did not realize how much these pages were a form of art journaling my Self - I had originally seen them as ways to play with collage and techniques in  mixed media. Now I see how much of my Self is directly on these pages...but I think after learning from Orly Avineri I might be ready to start including my own text in my own hand on some of these pages...and I'll be sure to share that when it happens!

My Art Journal waiting for a 'binding' and more pages to fill it up...

Thank you all for reading through my investigation on what makes an Art Book  an Art Journal!

3 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

it'll be fun to see how you bind them all together...love the colors!! I would definitely call it an art journal!!

Louise Gale "Dream-Inspire-Create" said...

Hey honey, im finally back into my groove so thanks for popping by my blog and being lovely. I adore your art journal - the colors and cute images too. Xx

apaperbear said...

Marvelous pages! It's your journal! You can bind it however YOU choose! Do it your way!! There are many ways to make a journal check out some on the internet.
A good start might be MarAnn Moss or Teesha or Tracy Moore.