Monday, April 25, 2011

Is this an art journal? Part 3...

I've been sharing pages from a small companion art book/art journal I have been creating over time as I look into what makes an art journal an art journal...

I've started with a statement from Orly Avineri:


....and from there I've been looking at each page of a small art book/art journal that was created as a companion book to the larger book I made at the Artful Journey Retreat last year...

How This Book Came About
The pages of this book were made from cut-offs of the larger pages I had created for my original art book. The paper I was working on was a larger measurement than the book covers I was working with at the time, but I knew I would be cutting away the excess to fit. The left overs were just as interesting, often more so, than the large pages made, so I kept them and when I won the lovely old book covers used in the the book "Taking Flight", I realized that the left over papers would make a great companion book to my original book.

The cut papers were exploding beyond the old covers but I liked the look of it! Let's continue to look at how these pages might be ways I've journaled about myself...

Art Book of Collage * Art Book * Art Journal

On the left, my favorite color palette of sepia tones and tea dyed colors - to the right, shades of red/crimson again...

I love paint chips and began to use them as pages, often covering the backside with art papers or old images I've kept for collage purposes such as the image of this rose...yet more flowers that I love!

If you look closely, you can see the faint image of stars stamped in pale gold ink in the corner - I love looking at stars in the night sky...

...shades of red are on both pages here...yes, I do like red tones...

...a detail shot of a stenciled image over laid with gold flakes rubbed on - that was a fun technique to learn!

This page is very special for me as it was a scrap of watercolor paper found among my grandmother's things. There were splotches of color in browns already on it and a touch of red, so I added a larger sweep of red that would allow me to use a photocopy of a vintage postcard from my collection of paper ephemera - a post card that reflects the heritage of myself and my grandmother. I added a layer of vintage pattern paper that belonged to my grandmother as well, which speaks to our shared history of sewing. I then used a bit of sheet music to finish the layers. I like to think of this art page as a collaboration with my grandmother that stretches across time...

The layers of pattern paper and sheet music wrap around from the "collaboration" page to the other side (left page) - this wrap around was done to the page on the right as well, with just a bit of paper to complement the orange paint layered over some gesso with patterns etched into the surface...

...the left page was made of one sheet with the wrap around on the previous page and two paint chips added in the lower left corner...

...detail shots of the small paint chips covered with scrapbook paper and ledger paper - small pages on larger pages to write in special messages that can remain hidden if needed!


I can see how these pages really reflect parts of myself, without the use of words on them. I thought I was creating an Art Book, but I see now that it can be seen as an Art Journal as well!

There are still a few more pages to be shared so stay tuned!

I hope you all had a lovely Easter Sunday =-)

2 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

looks like so much fun in creating these pages...I really like the bullfighting page!!

The Creative Beast said...

Yes, I think the sweep of red paint adds to the drama of the matador and the bull!