Friday, December 31, 2010

Sixth Night of Kwanzaa - Creativity...For New Years Eve!!

Tonight is the sixth night of Kwanzaa when seven principles are celebrated and reflected upon. I have been celebrating each principle, one for each day of this African-American holiday, by making time to reflect on each principle and think of how I can incorporate them all in my life looking forward in 2011. Tonight, the sixth principle for reflection is one that is near and dear to my heart: Creativity (Kuumba)...



Kuumba (Creativity): To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.

There is something about the way this is phrased that brings to mind taking care of our Planet Earth...

One way I'd like to leave my Planet Earth more beautiful and beneficial is by using creativity in recycling old goods and giving them a new life in a new form. I do this when I make my t-shirt scarves and t-shirt skirts, not to mention the tote bag with the recycled t-shirt flower. I also recycle when I use old book pages for my collage work which keeps purchasing new craft paper to a minimum.

I do hope to make some of the projects from the book "re-bound", which my dear boyfriend gave me as a Christmas gift this year! This book has great ideas for recycling all sorts of things and I was very excited to see a project on using old gift cards for small books since there were some gift cards I had been holding onto for their graphic art and I nearly threw them away last week! WHEW! I'm SO glad I can re-purpose them now and I'll be sure to share that project when I begin to work on it...

What are some creative ways you can leave your community more beautiful and beneficial?

***   ***   ***

Now, I have not forgotten that tonight is also the last night of the first decade of the new millennium! Tomorrow begins a new decade in this new millennium and I just know that it's going to be an exciting year...especially since I have chosen a new word (or two!) to guide me in 2011:

Amazing Opportunities!

Yes, it's time to welcome amazing opportunities in art and creativity, amazing opportunities in employment, in meeting more artists and in travel as I usher in 2011...


Here's to Amazing Opportunities and may we all have a most Prosperous New Year in 2011!!

2 comments:

slommler said...

Amen and amen!! I hope to expand my circle of patrons...so show my work more often and in more public places. And to look for opportunities to share my visions!!
Happy New Year hun,
Hugs
SueAnn

Karen Wallace said...

Happy New Year to you!!!! Wishing you the best. Hugs Karen