Monday, December 27, 2010

Second Night of Kwanzaa - Self-Determination...

Tonight is the second night of Kwanzaa, when seven principles are celebrated, one for each night of this African-American holiday. I am lighting a candle for each night of Kwanzaa and reflecting on each principle and how I can incorporate it into my life in 2011. The second principle is Self-Determination (Kujichagulia)...


Kujichagulia (Self-Determination): To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves, and speak for ourselves. 

This principle is so important - once we name a thing, it takes on a life of it's own, so imagine what happens when we name ourselves and define ourselves! it reminds me of a quote by Hillel:

“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?” 

If we do not define or name ourselves, then others will do it for us...

...but it can't be just for ourselves, as the principle of Unity reminds us...


...also, if we are not naming who we are and what we want in our lives, what are we waiting for?


Defining myself, naming myself, creating for myself and speaking for myself are skills I have been working on for many years, though I still have the occasional slip in naming certain things that I want for myself in my life. So here are some proclamations for 2011:

I am an Artist that goes by the nom de plume "The Creative Beast" and I was given this name because I am a creative being in many forms:
Dancer
Writer
Sewer/Seamstress
Painter
Mixed Media
Storyteller

I want to push my financial limits to their utmost in 2011 by earning more money than I could dare to dream of - apparently I have not been dreaming of very great financial success in the past few years!! ;)

I want to help others find their creative voice and give support where it is needed...

I want to create a home of comfort and welcome for the loved ones in my life...

I want to surround myself with like-minded artists, who are enthusiastic about the work they create...


What are some ways you could incorporate the value of Self-Determination in your life for 2011?

2 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

i feel like if i wasn't such a determined person i would have given up a long time ago...but i am always pushing onward in every area of my life!

i wish you all those things you want and so much more!!!

Art and Clasp - Averil Schiff said...

I love this idea. I think you are very lucky to be able to call yourself all those things, they are wonderful things to be! Though I know you earned the right to call yourself to give yourself those titles too.

For me 2010 was a lot about discovery and self-determination, after 2009 was about recovery. I look forward to more of it, it's so exciting to discover that we can create so much of who we are and change how we view ourselves and how others view us very easily.

I will be joining you in those financial dreams for 2011 too!!!