Friday, December 10, 2010

Lying low for Winter, Retrogrades and Holidays...

Hello everyone and thank you all for your wonderful comments on the interview conducted by Eddie Bluelights of Clouds and Silvery Linings. I really had a blast doing it and Eddie has a great sense of humor! Thank you Eddie!

***   ***   ***

I've been quiet this week as I've been dealing with challenges, releasing of old stuff (emotional and physical) and finding my way around the month of December, what with upcoming holidays and the Mercury Retrograde that began today. When I found this note about the month of December on the Alpha Life Trends website, it helped me see why I've been 'hiding out' these past few days:

December contains many powerful aspects that will impact many areas of our life. Mercury, Mars and Pluto provide aspects that bring in information that prompts us into action which creates revisions in our goals, aspirations and plans. Mercury retrograde occurs from December 10th through December 30th, from 5 Capricorn back to 19 Sagittarius. We will revise our business and career decisions and directions as we review our goals and aspirations. We will feel the impact of the great amount of information that is also tossed into the month that precipitates a revision of our direction. Ultimately as Mercury turns direct on December 30th, we move into the New Year of 2011 with a revised plan that will be put into place on January 4th, as the Solar Eclipse opens new doors of opportunity.*

* - underlining of key phrases by me...

Those underlined phrases resonated with me as I do an over-view of what transpired this year in 2010 and what I want to manifest for 2011; the phrase "new doors of opportunity" is really calling to me!

All of this reflection, change and clearing of old stuff can be overwhelming... and then there's the holidays....

these poinsettias were found in my work neighborhood...

...the African American neighborhood known as Leimert Park...

I have to be honest and say I'm not a big fan of the holiday season but bit by bit, over the past few years,  I have pieced together some reasons why...

I'm not a very religious person but I do understand the PRINCIPLES of what December 25th should mean, but it seems that many here in Los Angeles care more about 'presents and partying' than any underlying "reason for the season" and that just doesn't do it for me...

I've been considering celebrating a holiday that has a bit more meaning for ME - KWANZAA

Kwanzaa is a holiday created by Bob Karenga in 1966 for the African American community to "give Blacks an alternative to the existing holiday and give Blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society."

I am not African American, but I believe the VALUES that are celebrated for this holiday are ones we should all consider, especially as ARTISTS:
  • Umoja (Unity): To strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race.
  • Kujichagulia (Self-Determination): To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves, and speak for ourselves.
  • Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility): To build and maintain our community together and make our brothers' and sisters' problems our problems, and to solve them together.
  • Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics): To build and maintain our own stores, shops, and other businesses and to profit from them together.
  • Nia (Purpose): To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.
  • Kuumba (Creativity): To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.
  • Imani (Faith): To believe with all our heart in our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders, and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.

Is it strange of me to celebrate this holiday? And yet, it has called to me for many years...if I do choose to celebrate this holiday and these values, I'll let you know how I celebrate - Kwanzaa begins on December 26...

***   ***   ***

Of the VALUES listed above, which ones speak to you as an Artist? Are there any VALUES on this list you might consider working toward in 2011? I'd love to hear which ones are resonating for YOU!

2 comments:

slommler said...

Kujichagulia...to define ourselves...NAME OURSELVES...and speak for ourselves.
Tis important to know who we are and declare it. To say what we want and how we want it is also important.
And to understand ones' self and your personal motivations...very important as well!
This one speaks to me.
I enjoy the Christmas season! I celebrate secularly as well as religiously. It is a time of new birth and a joining together of the human and the divine.
A time of family and friends enjoying the gifts and blessings they have received all year. And a time to share the fruits of our labor with one another.
Fun times!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Louise Gale said...

I think its important to celebrate life no matter how you choose to do so sweetie. Im getting my tree today so am soooo excited to get this season off to a kicking start now! xx