Friday, December 24, 2010

A Holiday Story for Christmas Eve...

You know, it seems to happen in the same way, each year for me...

The "sell-ebrating" starts so early that it doesn't give me room to think about my own approach to the holidays and I start to get cranky and I lose any sense of joy around this time of year. Usually, there will be something that happens to help me let the Joy in...

Recently, with the intention of trying to find some of that 'happy holiday spirit', I found a t-shirt for the holidays with an image of Old Saint Nick and the words "I Believe" emblazoned across it. I knew IMMEDIATELY that I had to have this t-shirt because I DO believe in the spirit of Santa Claus and here is why "I Believe"...

This is the cutest image of St. Nick I've seen! No wonder I had to bring him home with me =-)
***   ***   ***

A Christmas Without Gifts

Once upon a time, many years ago, there was a family of five: a Father, a Mother, a Daughter, and two Sons. They lived in a duplex apartment until the day they were going to move into a home of their own.

This move was going to take place during Christmas time and, unknown to the children of the family, there would be no presents for the holidays due to the expense of buying the new home. The Mother was very unhappy about this prospect and begged the Father to buy just a few little things for their children, but the Father insisted that there was no money for even the smallest of toys. There would not even be a tree for the holidays...

The Mother cried to her Brother about all of this and he mysteriously said that something would work out - it was the season for miracles and Santa after all! The Mother was not so sure, but she certainly felt better having poured out her troubles to him.

There was much packing of household items and clothing and the living room began to look a bit bare as preparations for the move took place, especially since there was no tree for Christmas and no presents to put beneath it if there had been one. The children however  were mostly concerned about how Santa would find them if they were in transit for moving to their new home and the Mother did not know how to answer them.

On Christmas Eve, they were still in the old duplex and there was no tree and no sign of presents for anyone. The children were certain that there would be gifts by morning since they were still in their old home and Santa would have no trouble finding them. It didn't matter if there wasn't a tree - Santa would be able to visit just the same without a tree! The Mother put the children to bed with a heavy heart and she wondered how she would be able to explain why there were no gifts for Christmas morning.

Early on Christmas morning, even before the children awoke, the phone rang and the Mother picked it up. On the other end a strange voice said:

"Go look outside your front door!"

The Mother went to the front door and opened it. On the front stoop, there was a bag of little toys, not anything grand but there were toys for each of the children. There was also a very special letter that was hand-written by Santa Claus for the children and the mother read it to them when they awoke...


Dear children,
I was working in my workshop with my many elves when I heard from Peter Penguin, who heard it from Sally Seal, who heard it from Wally Whale, who heard it from Flora Fish, who heard it from Cora Crab, who heard it from Sammy Seagull, who heard it from Billy Bird, who heard it from Cathy Cat, who heard it from David Dog, who heard it from Fanny Flea, who heard it from Martha Mouse who heard it from a little ant that lives in the crack of the floorboards of your home that you were moving to a wonderful new home and that you were worried that I might not be able to find you there.

I want you to know that I will always know where to find you wherever you are. You could move to Timbuktu and I will still be able to find you and bring you your gifts! But I couldn't have done it with out a little help from Peter Penguin who told me that he heard it from Sally Seal, who heard it from Wally Whale, who heard it from Flora Fish, who heard it from Cora Crab, who heard it from Billy Bird, who heard it from Cathy Cat, who heard it from David Dog, who heard it from Fanny Flea, who heard it from Martha Mouse who heard it from the little ant that lives in the crack in the floorboard of your house.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Jolly New Year and I look forward to visiting you in your new home next Christmas!

From,
Santa Claus

Would you believe that Santa had drawn each and every animal that conveyed the news about the children to him! There was Peter Penguin and Sally Seal and Wally Whale and Flora Fish and all the others right down to the little ant that lived in the crack in the floorboard of the house! The children could not believe that they received gifts AND a special hand written letter from Old Saint Nick himself! In fact, they loved the letter even more than the gifts - after all, it's not every day that Santa Claus writes you a letter!

Santa had not forgotten about them and there were gifts for Christmas after all...

***   ***   ***

The only reason I have remembered that story is because, for a number of years afterward, we kept that hand written letter from "Santa" with all the little illustrations of all the animals that relayed the message of our impending move.

Sadly, the letter has disappeared but my memory of that letter did not and my mother eventually told me some of the details about that particular Christmas - how my father insisted there was no money for presents or a tree that year and how she told her brother, my uncle, about it. My uncle was the one who called early that morning to have her look outside her door to find the toys and it was he who bought the little gifts for us and it was he who created that letter with illustrations for us to read that Christmas morning - you see, my Uncle had studied art at Otis College of Art and Design many years ago and was quite an artist...

This story makes me think of how much creativity has been around me all my life and how much of it I have inherited from my family...

This story makes me realize that I have always been provided for, in one way or another, whether through family, friends or the Universe at large...

This story makes me appreciate that being provided for is such a blessing in my life since there are many children who are not so lucky in their lives - indeed, there are many adults who are not so lucky to have the blessing of getting what they need in their lives...

This story makes me wonder if having the gift of creativity in one's life facilitates the blessing of provision? Or is there magic in creativity that helps us to see the possibility in our lives, thus manifesting what we need, just when we need it...

This story makes me see that CREATIVITY is really MAGIC manifest and since Saint Nick is about the magic of giving that is why "I Believe" in Saint Nick...

 Dear Old Jolly Saint Nick - "I Believe" in you and what you represent...

I hope you are enjoying the Magic of the holiday today, where ever you are...


PS: Here is a wonderful story of  some "Santa's" making magic for families in need - Enjoy!
PPS: My mother thinks she may still have a scrap of the original letter!! I'll be sure to share it with you all when I am able to... 

5 comments:

Gwynnie B said...

Can you see my tears as they touch the keyboard as I write??

What a beautiful and heartfelt story, Monica! It's my favorite Christmas story now. I couldn't help but cry out of happiness for the love of an uncle, the imagination we all need, and the art of creativity that runs through you, and always will.

You are blessed in so many ways, dahling. And now we're blessed with this wonderful story!!

humel said...

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story :-) I believe! xx

Unknown said...

Can I ask where u got this t shirt? So cute!

Unknown said...

Can I ask where u got this t shirt? So cute!

The Creative Beast said...

Hello 'Unknown'!
My Santa shirt came from Target last year - sadly they don't carry this design every year but I think they should!!
Happy Holiday to you =-)