Friday, November 19, 2010

Post Birthday Wrap-up...

I just have to begin by saying this...

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

I had many wonderful birthday wishes sent my way, in so many forms from a special birthday song to many messages sent through the internet one way or another. It's been a great way to start my 45th year of Life.

My actual day began with a little painting...


There was a new technique from the Journal Your Dreams workshop I wanted to try out - wax resist. The only thing was, I didn't have any wax crayons handy so I had to use some red tailor's wax instead! I drew some spirals on my postcard watercolor paper tablet, then played with water and color...

Then I had to get ready to meet up with my dear boyfriend to go to the movies. The workshop class for the day was going to cover some ideas for photography but I wouldn't have the chance to check into the blog class unless we stopped at the Apple store where we were headed, but I thought I'd try to snap a few shots from the car, just to play with. Here are a few that I might use for my dream journal...

 
I like the expansive sky and bright light of this one...


 
You can just make out a hint of a path being created here - a nice 'metaphor' picture perhaps...

 
 
There is some great plant life where I live, no doubt about it...

We went to see the animated film "Megamind", which was great fun! My sweetie thinks we should have some t-shirts made of this 'poster' in the film...though I'm sure there are already t-shirts made of this somewhere!

Very fun and funny! I highly recommend seeing this film!

For awhile I was hoping we might be the only ones in the theater for this film!! This is how things looked when we arrived for our seats...

My sweetie indulging my request for a picture of a nearly empty theater - he is wearing the 3-D glasses we needed for the film ;)

Eventually, a few other folks came along to enjoy some laughs watching a funny film and a good time was had by all!

Luckily, we did make a stop in the Apple store where I could play with the i-pad and my sweetie showed me how the video camera works in the Mac laptops. Here is one picture I took while playing...

This could be a double-whammy image - a Mac Book and me in "Paris"! Two dreams close to my heart!!



I was able to take a quick peek in the workshop blog for the Journal Your Dreams workshop so I wouldn't be too far behind when I was able to have more time the next day to read things more thoroughly. It seems some of my car photos can be used at some point for some 'dreamscapes' later...

There was time spent in the Anthropologie shop, then time for lunch and one of my favorite sandwiches from the menu of Monsieur Marcel. On the way home, we stopped at a local art supply store where a few oil pastels were purchased (with help from my sweetie!) to play with later, then the rest of the evening was spent quietly with my dear boyfriend...All in all it was a a great day! I don't think I could have dreamed up a better day if I'd tried, which got me thinking...

Many of the amazing things that happened for me this past year were not dreamed of in any way:

  • An art exhibit
  • My art published in two books
  • Two Etsy shops in one year
  • Another Artful Journey Retreat for 2011...

...but my biggest dream of leaving my workplace has not yet happened...hmmmm...

Maybe I should let go of that 'dream' and instead wait to see what opportunity presents itself that will inevitably get me out of my workplace?

It's getting my brain thinking that perhaps OPPORTUNITY might be a word for the year in 2011??


What do you prefer - Dreams or Opportunities? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter =-)

4 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

sounds like a perfect day Monica!!

dreams to me, are just longings, yearning for something to happen...opportunities seem more action based, making solid plans and goals to achieve what we truly want for ourselves. I think we all need a bit of both.

The Creative Beast said...

That is a GREAT answer Kathryn!! and one I need to hear right now...

chrissy said...

happy late birthday dear creative one.
so happy to see that you and dear Gwynnie got to play together.
yippy
xo
c

Karen Wallace said...

Happy late birthday. I will think about a online course, things are busy but . . . .. could be fun!!!!! Hugs Karen