Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Things I love - Kilts!

Hello everyone! Thank you all for your wonderful comments on my posts about the Scottish Seaside Games in Ventura. It is a really fun event and I highly recommend attending such an event if there is one near you. The sound of the bagpipes in person is really impressive and watching the sheepdog competitions are fascinating - the dogs are so intelligent and well trained. And of course, there's LOTS of kilt wearing! This year, I've brought back a few images of people wearing kilts...

...from the very young...

I couldn't resist taking a picture of this adorable little girl!

...to the traditional elders...
This is a well turned out gentleman!

...and all ages in between...
standing at attention and practicing before the big parade...

This is one of my favorite tartans - black, red and gold. Searching for the name of this tartan, the Brodie Red Modern  came close to this pattern...


...with conventional and un-conventional footwear...

A version of the traditional footwear can be seen on the right...

This gentleman has chosen to wear flip-flops with his kilt!

Kilts worn with various hats...

A straw hat for the warm weather we had during the weekend...

I do love a derby, but I'm not sure it really works for this particular outfit...

Even whole families wear kilts here! 

 The family that kilts together, stays together??!?! ;)

Sadly, I did not see any dogs in kilts this year, but I think I got a great variety of how kilts are worn at these events. I did not get pictures of my own dear boyfriend wearing his Utilikilt, though I meant to. He has great legs for the kilt! ;)

And he does own and wear a traditional kilt =-)

***   ***   ***
I'll continue to share some images I managed to shoot while in Ventura and one will be for the 'self portrait' challenge hosted by Tinniegirl tomorrow...or maybe that's today?!?! Well, I may be a day late for my portrait image but better late than never!

5 comments:

Louise Gale said...

Love it! No images of what is worn under the kilts then! :-) hehe. Looks like so much fun Monica...thanks for sharing. :-)

Kathryn Hansen said...

HA! Your photos are great...love the different shoes with kilts...very funny!!

The Creative Beast said...

Thanks for your comments ladies!

LOUISE: no pics of what is under the kilt here - I try to keep this blog a clean one ;)

KATHERYN: the various styles of footwear is pretty funny sometimes, as was the variety of hats!

Karin said...

Great! I love it! Looks like a fun day. Did you do any Scottish reels?

The Creative Beast said...

Hello Karin - thanks for stopping by my blog!

I did not do any Scottish reels since I know very little Sottish Country dancing but i am familiar with Irish Ceili dancing and could have joined in those dances. My dear boyfriend does know how to do the Sword Dance though! =-)