Sunday, October 17, 2010

Some things I've made...

I recently mentioned my No Clothes Challenge to an acquaintance* and she marveled that it is quite an accomplishment to buy NO CLOTHING FOR A WHOLE YEAR!! You know what? She is right...

***   ***   ***
Going to thrift shops is one of my favorite ways to find clothing, as well as going to Target. Over the years I have seen my income dwindle so I could no longer afford to shop at another favorite place, The Gap, because over time, even the sale prices got too expensive for my budget. Sadly, it seems this was a great year to take the No Clothes Challenge since it's the year I had to take a pay-cut at work. I do see that I have an abundance of clothing to wear but I have to admit that I do miss shopping for clothes...it's one of the ways I express myself creatively!

BTW, clothing was not all I gave up buying - I also added shoes, hats and handbags, the two latter of which are my favorite items to collect and wear. I also chose not to buy more fabric in the hopes that I would start using the fabrics I have piled in my creative play-space, but so far that hasn't worked out as I'd hoped...

Oh, and I tried to add yarn to the list and was pretty good about that - I only bought four separate skeins of yarn this year! Here's what I made with one of them:

I knitted this for last years Artful Journey retreat but it really wasn't cold enough to wear it!
I had asked another friend to be in charge of my requests for purchasing clothing because I thought I might buy some t-shirts to create a new t-shirt skirt but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I have a dream to create another t-shirt skirt similar to one I have made already but in shades of blue...

front view of skirt...
I actually made this skirt over two years ago and I love wearing it! In the tradition of my great-grandmother, I didn't use a pattern**, but I did use measurements to cut the pieces. 

back view of skirt...
I wanted to incorporate the graphics of the t-shirts I purchased to make this skirt and that got a bit tricky, but I managed!

detail of skirt back - a reminder that sometimes it's good to re-think what is happening in your life ;)

I did see a really cool recycled t-shirt dress on someone recently and I'd like to try my hand at that. I'm beginning to think that if I do buy something when the challenge is over, I will buy some t-shirts with fun and colorful graphics to try my hand at making a fun dress...

***   ***   ***

Do you have any fun projects you'd like to tackle soon? I'd love to hear what they are!


PS: If you'd like to see other things I make, stop by my Etsy shop and take a look...more items will be added next week =-)


* - this is actually a woman I see annually at the Seaside Games and other Irish Fairs throughout the year. She is called "The Sweater Lady" because that is what she sells - lots of second-hand sweaters in wonderful wools with beautiful cables and the occasional cashmere on sale. She is a doll and I love seeing her...I also missed buying sweaters from her this year! =-(

** - I hope to share more about my great-grandmother soon...

7 comments:

TJ said...

The t-shirt skirt is amazing!! So now it's clear... you ROCK the t-shirt up-cycling circuit!! Happy creations from germany, tj

humel said...

Wow, the skirt is amazing - I wish I could create the kind of thing, but I'm sticking to the basics (like teatowel bags) for now!

I'd love to hear more about your great-grandmother some time xx

The Creative Beast said...

hi TJ! thanks for your take on my t-shirt 'upcycling!!

Mel, I do plan on writing more about family members soon so stay tuned =-)

Louise Gale said...

Oooh these are great Monica, you have so much talent. Love both items and cant wait to see photos of you in that super skirt...I can just imagine you twirling around. :-)

Kathryn Hansen said...

the skirt is great Monica!!seems like those would sell very well!!

Mercedes Allenbaugh said...

Do you have this pattern to share??? :)

The Creative Beast said...

Hello Mercedes and thanks for asking if I have a pattern for this recycled t-shirt skirt...I do not have a pattern for this skirt, I measured and cut, making it up as I went along! But I AM thinking of making an online ecourse or tutorial to help others learn to measure themselves to make this skirt for themselves, since I have made a few more skirts since the first red & pink one - it really is a FUN skirt design! If you are interested in learning, send me an email to thecreativebeast (@)gmail(dot)com so you can get on my email list to be notified! Thanks so much for your interest in this skirt!