Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Some finished projects...

Hello everyone and thank you all so much for your wonderful words of encouragement! I've been on quite a cloud since receiving my copy of "Creative is a Verb" and will be following the advice of Cathy and Katheryn to stay on it as long as I can! However, that does not mean I will be resting on my laurels - I've got some projects in the works and will eventually share them here with all of you...


In the meantime, I'm going to share a few clothing renovation projects I've done this year...

As I mentioned, I'm nearing the end of my No Clothes Challenge for the year, which began last November. I had hoped to have time to make a few new garments, but I've only had some time to renovate a few items this year...
If you look closely, the blue bead is rather darker than the rest of the soft blue stitching on this t-shirt...feel free to click on any image for a bigger view

I bought this t-shirt in October last year with the intent to replace the front details. I wasn't keen on the blue bead or the little brown ones. I knew I had some tiny buttons and beads I could use that would look much better on this t-shirt and I was right...it was finished and perfect for Spring!

 
soft blue beads from an old skirt - there's a LOT of re-purposing done around here!

I think that's much better - what do you think??

I also needed to make some repairs on a favorite skirt - my converted denim skirt made from a pair of my dear boyfriends old jeans. I noticed some wear happening due to the pocket edges brushing against the skirt from the inside that would turn into holes if I didn't work on them soon, so I decided to create some patches and used embroidery to anchor them...

Feel free to click on the images to get a better view...

...detail shots are below...

I cut circles to imply the idea of flowers and used a few simple stitches to create "flower" patches...

lots of straight stitches were used here with some French knots...
 
and some daisy chain stitches were used also...

I had a LOT of fun working on these patches, though it did take longer than I expected because I would continue to embellish the patches, after I thought I was finished with them!! I think it was because I was excited to use some embroidery threads from a collection of threads I found at a thrift shop earlier this spring...

Did I SCORE with this thrift shop find, or WHAT?!?!?!?

I do have some embroidery threads that once belonged to my grandmother, but I was so thrilled to have found this collection of embroidery thread that contains so many more colors than my grandmother appears to have used in her life. And it was arranged in a spectrum, which also appealed to me =-)

It's made me think of how we create new traditions in our lives that can honor the people who inspire them...

I've written about my grandmother teaching me to sew by hand and embroidery work is a part of that and the happier lessons I've learned from her. Though much of her personal color palette is not one I follow, I do cherish the skill of handwork she passed along to me. And as an artist, I am free to choose a color palette that works for me.

Here's a sneak peek at a current project I'm working on in one of my favorite color palettes...more to be revealed soon!

***   ***   ***
I'd like to thank the readers who have shared some their own family traditions that are passed down through the generations. How do you take some of those traditions/lessons and make them your own? I'd love to hear about that!

2 comments:

Art and Clasp said...

Very nice, I love what you did with the shirt, that blue is beautiful!

humel said...

Very clever - you improved that shirt so much, well done you! xx