Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Self Portrait Day!

Today I will join in Tinniegirl's self portrait challenge and share two images: one is a "metaphorical" portrait and one is a recent portrait of me taken this past weekend...

***   ***   ***

 
some of the objects in my creative play-space...

I thought about attempting to take a picture of myself but since the days are getting shorter in this part of the hemisphere, it's getting harder to have enough decent sunlight to take very many good pictures.

Since I could interpret this challenge in a creative way, I thought I'd create a "portrait" using some objects in my creative play-space that I think reflect who I am. My dress form picture holder and sewing machine picture frame! Both include the type of art I love best, collage and they are both related to my first form of creating, sewing, and both involve holding photographs, which I love to take...but I am also comfortable having my picture taken by others. Below is the recent picture taken of me by my dear boyfriend during our time in Ventura...

me in the fig tree by "Dear Boyfriend" 

I'm not sure I can call this portrait a self-portrait since it was taken by my dear boyfriend, but since it's a recent picture, I thought I'd use it since this also reflects something about me - my love of Ventura and of trees...


When we stayed in Ventura for the seaside games last year, we got to walk around parts of Ventura we hadn't seen before and I discovered this immense fig tree. I loved it but didn't get pictures until our trip this year...

this is one HUGE fig tree! I'll share more pictures of this immense tree soon...

This challenge makes me ponder what a self portrait really is - can a photo really capture all that we are? How can we capture what we are if we are growing and changing? Maybe the best we can do is to take these "snap-shots" of our progression in the Journey of Life so we can see where we came from as we continue to move forward into what we will be...
***   ***   ***
I hope you are having fun with the challenge today and take time to celebrate who you are TODAY as you move into your future =-)

5 comments:

humel said...

Love both your interpretations of this :-) I'm full of cold and have a bright red nose so I'm skipping out of this for now! x

CurlyPops said...

It's definitely still a self portrait! Love your scarf.

Karin said...

Wow that tree! Amazing! I love trees like this, huge and comforting, protective.

I enjoyed reading about your self-portrait journey. Thank you for stopping by my blog and seeing my costume! :-)

Juliette Crane said...

LOVE this post! thank you! i so needed to read this and reflect and now celebrate :)

best wishes to you!
juliette

The Clip Cafe said...

I think it is very nice - and that tree is huge! I love trees too :-)