Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Process of a Postcard...

I mentioned how I love the process of creating in my post of last week and thought I'd share the process of making one of my mail-art postcards with you today...
***   ***   ***

It started with a few elements in a shade of purple/violet and I began to play with these elements to see how to arrange them...or to find out how they wanted to be arranged!

I found a vintage stamp in similar colors that I thought would look great, but the elements are not quite coming together for me here...

I like keeping the elements down to three items and I think I know of a way to fill some of what appears to be empty space here...

I think this works! What do you think??

I knew as I worked with this design there would inevitably be some "empty space" and that can be okay. It reminded me of a dance instructor who would tell me that there can be "movement in a still moment", meaning that while I may appear to standing still or holding a pose, I can still convey movement in that stillness...

I know sometimes empty space can be a bit frightening at times but that doesn't mean that nothing is happening, that there is no movement. Sometimes things need a little room to breathe!

***   ***   ***

Have you ever noticed the power of stillness in your life? Have you noticed that a little empty space can work for you? I'd love to hear about it!


- There will be another giveaway here tomorrow so stay tuned for it!
- There's still time to sign up for the Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap - go here to sign up!

6 comments:

Gwynnie B said...

How cute is this postcard?! And it's purple so it's even cuter :)

Empty space, scared space, open space..yes a bit daunting and scary at times, but needed too. Sometimes less creates more!

humel said...

I definitely think it works - it looks beautiful, and has just the right amount of white space xx

Kathryn Hansen said...

your postcard looks great!!

and yes i agree with you on space...leaving white in a piece of art gives it more of a dramatic effect...not every inch has to be covered!!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Space, balance, movement, stillness, they all matter in art and in life. How we each come at them matters too. Love this piece of art Monica.

Kerri said...

yes- empty space is as meaningful as the filled in space-
that i applies to what i do too...music.

love ur postcard- and yes, i think adding the word journey, and the star/sun shapes were the perfect balance!

Louise Gale said...

oooh lovely, great colors and so fab to see the work progress too. hmm purple perfect for halloween too. :-)