Friday, October 8, 2010

Planned or Spontaneous?

It's time to play "Two Camps"!

What's that??
You've never heard of the game "Two Camps"?!?

Of course you have, you just didn't know it had a name! It's the game many of us play by dividing people into two groups. Sometimes, this game goes by the unpleasant name of "Us vs. Them"...but today we're playing the sillier version called "Two Camps". Here are your questions:

What is your philosophy of creating art?
Do you believe its spontaneous or do you believe it's planned?*

Which camp do you fall into?...

***   ***   ***

I thought I'd ask, because this question could be asked of blogging as well...

Do you blog spontaneously or do you plan your posts in advance?

I usually blog spontaneously but there are occasions I have to plan them in advance such as the time I spend at Ventura Seaside Highland Games and this year is no exception! I've planned my posts for the weekend in advance because I will not be near a decent computer, let alone have time for any kind of post that is more than a quick check in, and I don't want to miss the daily posting for Blogtoberfest! Ventura Seaside Highland Games starts on Friday night and ends on Sunday evening and my dear boyfriend and I have begun a tradition of staying in Ventura for the weekend this event takes place. I am happy to do it since the city of Ventura is one of my favorite places to be...;)

This is Main Street in Old Ventura...I think I'll have to try getting a better picture during my stay this weekend!

The front door of the old mission of Ventura...

...and the beautiful courtyard of the mission...


I had written last year about sharing pictures and video from the games but somehow never got around to doing that. Luckily, I still have pictures and video and I will be sharing those with you, so stay tuned for some "craic" and "ceol"**!

***   ***   ***
In the meantime, I'd love to hear your thoughts about planning vs. spontaneity. It's an interesting question and there is no right or wrong answer, just the answer that works for YOU!


* - I recently read some interesting ideas about spontaneity in Malcolm Gladwell's book "Blink" that I think are relatable; I'll try to share that here soon...
** - "craic" means FUN and "ceol" means MUSIC in Irish Gaelic =-)

3 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

my drawings and paintings are almost always planned out...my collages never. That's why the collages can be more fun at times. But for me it's the process...if i'm in the zone, whether planned or not, that's the bomb to me!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I sit it both camps with both blogging and art making. Sometimes I'm full of spontaneity with my writing and painting, but there's other times I have to be organised and plan to make things happen.

Especially with painting these days I'm needing to plan things more so I can work towards exhibiting more.

Have a wonderful time in Ventura.

humel said...

Hmmm, interesting question. I nearly always think through my project or post in advance, so I guess it's planned - but then when I start creating or typing, it tends to evolve, making it spontaneous!

Most of my blog posts are autoposts, but when I type them they are 'in the moment'.....

Er - both?!