Saturday, October 9, 2010

It's that time of year...


Time for fiddling, Celtic music and singing, and bagpipe bands parading...
Time for sheepdog competitions, Highland dancing and classic cars...
Time for "large men throwing things", warrior re-enactments, and men in kilts...

...even the dogs wear kilts here!! ;)
 
so silly, yet so CUTE!


I've posted about attending this event and I believe I also mentioned sharing some images of that event which I had not yet done here. Well, today I will finally share a few images, and hopefully some videos if all goes well!

There's so much to love about this event: bagpipes, watching sheepdogs in competition, parades and, of course, it all takes place in one of my favorite places of California, the city of Ventura.

There is so much tradition that happens at this event such as the parade of bagpipe bands and it always fills me with emotion to watch them parade and play. I've tried to capture the feeling on video, I'm just not sure video can do justice to real thing. However, here is some video of the parade from last year:


(please bear with me if this video doesn't work - I'll work on fixing any errors upon my return home!)

Here is another tradition I love to watch each year - to see this little chap lead one of the bands:


These pictures are from last year...



I've watched him grow over the years that I've attended this event and watching him grow in height, as well as experience in band leading, reminds me that time really is passing. It's such a privilege to watch this young fellow...

This is the little chap in the Seaside Games from 2007 - he was SO young to be leading this band and I was SO impressed with his presence...
 The sense of respect and dignity in this young fellow is really something to see...

Traditions are very strong in the Celtic community and there are many of them...which I'll write about for tomorrows post!


4 comments:

humel said...

lol at the dog in a kilt!! I shall look forward to tomorrow's post :-)

Annette said...

It sounds like so much fun!!!! We go to the Renaissance Faire here!

Gina said...

Sheepdog competitions! My half collie-crazy-puppy Finn would love that! This all looks so fun.

Becoming Dr Doc said...

Being from Scottish heritage, I love all this stuff. Last year, I even began learning the pipes. Stay tuned for that one!