Sunday, October 3, 2010

From Sewing to Fashion Design...

Today, I will continue with my history of sewing by sharing about my time learning Fashion Design...

***   ***   ***
A Fashion Designer is Born...
Yes, I stopped sewing for two years because I had gotten frustrated with my off-the-cuff attempts to create garments without a pattern. During that time though, I began to really look at garments and how they were constructed. I noticed fine top-stitching on edges of collars and cuffs and noticed under-stitching on collars and necklines. I started learning some new things about garment construction all on my own...

Then I heard about LA Trade Technical College and I enrolled in their two year program to get an AA in Fashion Design and Pattern Drafting. I was required to take a beginning class in sewing though I already knew how to sew on a machine but that class was a great learning experience since I didn't know how to use industrial machines and they are very powerful and fast. If you don't know how to work with one properly you can be very seriously injured and some students were...

I also learned from my instructor on how to work with plaids and line them up properly, which I didn't know before school. I'm so glad to have learned that skill since I love plaid! She was a great instructor and it was a great class. I got better at my skills and I got faster at sewing!

Who knew I'd be using my skills to create crazy cakes like this?! It was made for the City Hearts fundraiser last year =-)

I remember another instructor who I thought had a great sense of style and she said something that I always remembered:

"I have a friend who likes to think of her clothes as all of her 'little friends'...and she opens her closet to visit her little friends and say hello to them"

I used to think this was silly (but fun!) until the day I read the book "Simple Isn't Easy" by Olivia Goldsmith and Amy Fine Collins. Amy Fine Collins, once a style editor for Harpers Bazaar, had written:

"Looking into your closet should be like entering a really great party where everyone you see is someone you like!"

I try to keep this quote in my head every time I look into my closet to visit my "little friends"! Especially since taking on my "No Clothes Challenge"...

It's been nearly a year since taking on that challenge and I have not bought any clothes or shoes, new or used, nor have I bought handbags or hats, some of my favorite items to buy and use...

The last hat purchased before the challenge began - I love it with this handbag...

I can honestly say that I have not needed any clothes, shoes, hats or handbags this year and I've learned that I really do have quite a surplus of goods...now it's time to really work on making my closet that awesome party filled with things I like! ;)

And, I'll begin to consider whether I will continue this No Clothes Challenge into 2011...

***   ***   ***
I've come to realize that I have had some great "ancestors" in Fashion and Style. Women who have learned what works for them have been so gracious to share what they have learned and they pass down their own legacy of knowledge to many of us...

What are some great lessons that you have learned from the people in your life? I would love to hear about them!

1 comment:

Running Thread said...

Wow! I genuinely admire your No Clothes Challenge. And I love that quote from Amy
Fine Collins. You do have a great sense of style. That hat and handbag are sensational. Well done.