Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Fig Tree of Ventura

I thought I'd write more about the fig tree that I posted about yesterday. Many of you were quite taken with the tree as much as I am so I will share more about it today...

***   ***   ***

this is my dear boyfriend* in front of the fig tree to illustrate how immense it really is...

As I mentioned yesterday, I had discovered this tree last year but didn't get any pictures of it until our trip this year. As you can see it is HUGE and WIDE and it is beautiful...

here are the stats on this tree - it comes from Australia, just like our fabulous Blogtoberfest hostess, Tinniegirl!
 and here is a sample of what has fallen from the tree: a pine cone, leaves, 'berries'

One thing I found really fascinating is that a palm tree is growing right through the branches of this tree!

here is the trunk of the palm tree that has grown despite the shade...
the palm tree grows right through the branches of the fig tree...

 here is the top of the palm tree reaching for the heights - it grew in the shadow of the large fig tree...

Seeing the palm tree grow despite being in the 'shadow' of the mighty fig tree makes me think that if this palm tree can grow to reach for the sun, despite being overpowered by the fig tree, how hard can be it be for any of us to do the same?

the strong trunk of the fig tree with roots that grow deep and wide - it's firmly grounded in it's purpose...

I have been thinking a lot about trees recently but in a different way - family trees...

Tinniegirl wrote today about how she has come from a 'family tree' of creativity starting with a mother who is creative and a published author. If you've seen Tinniegirl's amazing artwork you can see that she has not fallen far from the family tree =-)

I know I have not fallen far from my family tree. My mother, grandmother and great-grandmother all sewed clothing for their families. My great-grandmother loved to dance and I do too. There is a love of Jazz music I share with my mother and her father, my grandfather. My own father is a musician so I come by my love of music naturally...

Sometimes, though, there are some things from our family trees that we may inherit without realizing it, like bad thought patterns. My own mother doesn't see just how creative she really is. She has a great sense of color and wears color combinations that I'm not brave enough to wear...yet! It has made me sad to see that she is unable to own her creativity and style and it has been frustrating - because she doesn't own her creativity, she has been unable to help me in my creative journey...it is a difficult journey if we do not have role models we can follow.

Luckily, I have been able to find support in different ways, from different sources. I have a lot of artists that I admire and I have recently been pretending that they are my "family". I will share more about that soon...

I may seem insignificant beside this tree but I won't let it overshadow me!! ;)

***   ***   ***

What are some things you have inherited from your family tree that you are proud of? I'd love to hear about them!


* - my dear boyfriend is a bit shy about having his image posted here but I think that he is overshadowed by the tree enough to make him 'hidden' ;)

5 comments:

humel said...

It's OK, we can't really see him!! That's an amazing tree, wow - and I love the palm growing right up through it. Great post, hun xx

Gwynnie B said...

Tress mesmerize me. Especially big tress like your fig tree because they have so much to say with all they've seen. What a great tree to connect with!

My grandmothers and great grandmothers were seamstresses. I have an old sewing cabinet from one of them, but unfortunately I am not a seamstress! What I did inherit was creativity from both sides. And short legs...

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I love Moreton Bay Figs. They are awesome trees.

Sometimes it's a real challenge to find role models that can guide us and support us, and sometimes when there is no-one there to show us the way we have to forge ahead and create our own path.

I think you are well on your way.

HayleyK said...

What an awesome tree!

Happy Blogtoberfest! I am on a mission to comment and follow all the blogs in Blogtoberfest! Maybe you could comment and follow me as well! Cheers!

danielle said...

TREES are my favorites things in the whole world! They ground me and nurture the deepest parts of me. Thank-you for sharing such a beauty with me. I would love to wrap my arms around it. Great pic of you standing in front of it! xo