Monday, September 13, 2010

My First Magazine Submission...

I've done it...

I've moved through my own internal critic and thrown my hat into the ring of amazing artisans vying for the title of "Artisan 2011" in the Cloth Paper Scissors Artisan Search 2011! I have submitted in the category of Art Journal and Book Making.

It's my first submission to a magazine OR contest EVER!!!

I dared to quiet my inner critic that said, "those artists are submitting REALLY beautiful work - how can you compete with that??!?"

I CAN compete among them because I have years of creating art work behind me and I also have a unique concept to submit that many of the others didn't - my Office Art Book...

you can read the description for this image HERE...

***   ***   ***

I knew about this contest for awhile now and was debating whether to enter but I wasn't sure which category to choose until the full page ad for this contest hit me in the face while perusing their STUDIO Magazine (Fall Issue). I felt it was a sign to enter and I thought about submitting an art book, but I'm still working on my art book from this years retreat, as well as the smaller companion book*. When I learned that the semi-finalists will be asked to submit the ORIGINAL ART for one year, I had to decide if I had a book (or any artwork) I would be okay with releasing into the world for one whole year**. I did - I was ready to release my Office Art Book...


you can read the description for this image HERE...


Of course, my inner critic saw the work of the other amazing artists submitting art books and art journals, but I took time to look at my book and appreciate what it did for me as I created it and thought of how it might help others if they could see my book too. My art book had a unique concept and challenge: making it all at my office in my spare time, using only the office supplies available to me at work...with the occasional items brought from home to add some visual interest.

I submitted my Office Art Book, with help from my dear boyfriend making my photographs the required size for submission. He really liked the images I used for this submission and I love it when he likes my photos since he has studied photography. It's like getting validation from Ansel Adams*** or something!! ;)

I thought that I would take the final photos to use for the submission at my office desk, where the art book was created, providing the right background for the concept and context of my art book. I thought that might be a fun touch for my submission! I wrote up a detailed description for the art book and added sections to each photo entry to spread out the story of the book. I've received confirmation that Cloth Paper Scissors received my submission and the semi-finalist results will be posted at the blog of Editor Jenn Mason on September 27...


you can read the description for this image HERE...

I'm not entirely sure I stand a chance at semi-finalist in my category, compared to the amazing work that has been submitted so far, but I like to think I have a different take than the rest. If I don't make the cut to semi-finalist, I do have some ideas about sharing my Office Art Book (OAB) with others in the hopes of helping people who are unhappy at work, so stay tuned for that! I hope you have a chance to look at my submission - I'd love to hear your thoughts about it...

***   ***   ***

I'm starting to think that if we can look beyond our creation/artwork and how it looks to focus instead on how it will help others in some way, then we may be closer to quieting those inner critics...


What do you think? Does creating something to make someone happy make you feel great about your work?? I'd love to hear about one of those projects!




* - I will have to share some pictures of that book - it is made with some very special book covers =-)

** - there are no guarantees that my artwork will come back in the same condition as I send it out, so I needed to be very certain of what I was putting out and being okay if it comes back a little the worse for wear...I'm okay with it!

*** - my dear boyfriend has taken some beautiful landscape shots from his trip to Ireland, which makes me think of him as Ansel Adams ;)

6 comments:

humel said...

Good luck to you! It's a fab project, and you're a talented lady so it definitely has a chance here :-)

CurlyPops said...

Congratulations on taking the plunge and the best of luck!

Kathryn Hansen said...

for me, monica i'm happiest when i do my art for myself. sure it's great to get wonderful comments and i love hearing tales from happy clients. that feedback is very satisfying and i'm so happy that my art has touched them. but in the end when i'm creating the art i want to create that is the most satisfying and happiest times for me!and that shows up in how i live my life.

...and, my fingers are crossed for you...i so hope you get in!! Your book is wonderful!

Gwynnie B said...

I'm giddy with excitement for you! Your ideas are so meaningful, which makes your art that much more soulful. Way to go, Ms. Renaissance Woman =-)

To answer your question: I get great satisfaction when my pieces make someone happy. A peace of me moves on in the world, and a peace of them stays with me. The whole process is amazing, and that makes me happy :)

Cathy {Tinniegirl} said...

Good luck with the submission. It's great that you are taking steps to put your work out there. Fingers and toes crossed.

Kerri said...

good for you! what a brave step to getting your beautiful work seen by many!

i think about the whole "it's not about me, it's about them" before some performances. the focus may feel like it's on me, but it really isn't! it's really just how others connect to what i've created-