Thursday, September 2, 2010

Creative Color Challenge - Week V - Lavender

YIKES! This has been one CRAZY week and much of it due to the Mercury Retrograde we are going through. I managed to complete my art piece that I wrote about in my last post, but it did take time from this weeks Creative Color Challenge and I'm afraid I don't have much to show for it this week...

***   ***   ***

The Color:

The objective:
to create something using this color, plus black and white*

The final product by yours truly:
a bit of a mess, really! But a floral one...


Firstly, Thank you all for your wonderful comments on my art piece and my blog post! I'm so happy that the wall hanging turned out so well and I'm so pleased that many of you are enjoying these longer posts I've been doing recently. I like to talk about my process of creating and I think it helps to demystify what it is to create something. I also hope it encourages others to begin to create and work with their hands. Now onto this weeks challenges, colorful or otherwise!


For the art piece I have donated for the City Hearts fundraiser that I wrote about in my last post, I took a few days off to get it finished for delivery which took up Monday and Tuesday leaving me with a few days to work on something for this week's challenge, right? Well, not exactly...

When I first saw the color challenge we were given I thought "Yay! Now I can start the embroidery on one of my cashmere cardigans I've been planning!" Needless to say, the Universe had other ideas in store for me...and how!

More than I can chew... 

I was a bit tired after my push on completing the wall hanging so Tuesday night was lost. This week at work I knew I wouldn't be anywhere near my computer on Friday so I realized that I would have to complete my project by Wednesday night to photograph it and write up my post. Unfortunately, the days have been getting shorter and I really saw it this week when I attempted to do a few "starting point" shots on Wednesday night, none of which turned out well when I loaded the photos into the computer. I tried to start some embroidery later that night, but nothing was looking right. I'm beginning to think the threads I bought for this sweater may be a bit too tonal and blending in too much as a result...

Embroidery would have been more than I could chew with such limited time this week!


I awoke earlier than usual on Thursday morning and thought I might try my hand at a fun tutorial that one my Artful Journey sisters wrote up on her blog the other day - it's a fun way to make flowers and it seemed like it could be a quick way to create something in lavender. I then added in making a flower with t-shirt scraps left over from one of my t-shirt scarves I made for a friend. I can use these flowers later to adorn a canvas bag...


A down and dirty craft project - T-shirt flower!


some base petals to start, cut two-in-one...

more petals in a slightly different shade of lavender, cut individually...

add a little top-stitching to keep it all in place and VOILA!...
a simple t-shirt flower to adorn a canvas bag that can be top-stitched to keep all the petals in place...

and this little flower is super simple and fun to make....
It's a fun way to make flowers thanks to Chrissy's fun tutorial that you can find HERE...

One of the challenges for me with this project was the tone of color I used and photographing it to capture the true hue. I was working with the blue toned shades of lavender and it doesn't always photograph as well as I had hoped. And I was working early in the morning with cool light coming in from my northern window which made it more "cool" in tone. But I completed the last color challenge for the month and I'm proud that I made a project for each color of each week. I'm still just a wee bit sad to see this challenge come to an end because it really was a lot of fun, even if this last week went off the rails!

***   ***   ***

Other challenges...

What a week it's been...one of my fellow Artful Journey classmates wrote about her Mercury Retrograde experience in this post HERE...and a recap HERE. They are funny and I wish my experiences were half as funny as hers this week - for me, work is a chaotic mess and then there's the issue of my car key breaking in my car door! If it wasn't for my dear boyfriend going to retrieve my spare key from my home (20 miles away from my crappy office!!) I would have to sleep in my office tonight!!! Because heaven knows I do NOT have money to spare for a locksmith to get me into my car...at least it gave me lots of time to write up this blog post - HA HA!! ;)

Though work has been bad this week, I can say there have been some eye-opening revelations that came to my attention, none of them very pretty...and it all reinforces the fact that I really need to find a way out of this entire situation. I may write more about those details later to "celebrate" this Labor Day holiday coming up. There are some amazing people who are working on creative ways to approach the workplace that have been swirling in my head these days and I realized that some principles would be applicable to those considering entrepreneurship.

In the meantime, I will take some time to relax from some of this insanity around me and make time to do a project or maybe more cleaning of my creative play-space. I managed to donate a lot of goods from my space to another craft space and I'm hoping it clears a space for a better job...or whatever amazing opportunity the Universe sees fit to send me!




* - okay, she actually let us use some of the other colors from the previous weeks but I was stretched for time!

2 comments:

humel said...

The flowers are *lovely* :-) Good for you, getting through the challenges! And good for you, having such a positive attitude about life and work right now - you'll work out where and what and who you're supposed to be, I know it xx

Louise Gale said...

Hi there hang in there. :-) I really loved your flower this week, you should definitely do some more stitched/fabric projects, cant wait to see some more. :-)