Friday, September 17, 2010

The Beast of Jealousy...

Sometimes I get jealous...

I do.

I think it happens to everyone but we really don't like to admit to it...


I can usually be happy for the success of others but sometimes something happens that makes it hard for me to do that and I'll tell you that it happened to me about two weeks ago...

***   ***   ***

I heard from a fellow co-worker about another co-worker who has recently written a book and has been promoting it everywhere...and will soon be leaving the agency I work for in the glow of this success.

I wish I could say that I was happy for her, but it got under my skin. Because I began to play "The Comparison Game":

  • I haven't written a book
  • I'm no where near to finding a better paying job or better work opportunity
  • I don't have the educational degree my co-worker has

...but a few hours later I was able to play a different game - "The Appreciation and Gratitude Game":

  • I have been submitting quite a lot of artwork in this past year alone that has or will be seen by a great many people
  • I've been blogging about things that seem to be helping some of you, my dear readers (at least I hope so!)
  • I am taking steps toward a life of self-sustaining, self-employment, though the pay-off feels like a long ways off...
  • I've got quite a few years of experience and wisdom behind me! =-)

And my life path is certainly different from the path of my co-worker...

Some of the things I've accomplished this year - not bad, eh??!?


When I discussed this with a good friend, she pointed out that I was probably upset because it's someone who is working at the same agency but having a far different experience than I am, and to remember that my co-worker probably spent some time on the office computer writing that novel!!

My friend was right, especially about that last part, I'm sure... ;)

And with that idea in mind it was easier for me to see my co-worker when I happened to be at the main office this week and congratulate her on her accomplishments, listen to her speak about her future plans beyond her last day working and wish her the best of luck...

***   ***   ***

It's not always easy to to keep the Beast of Jealousy at bay, but if we can take a moment to remind our selves of our own amazing accomplishments, instead of comparing ourselves to others (I know, it's not always easy!!) we can have room to be happy for the success of others, especially if we can also remind ourselves that if others are able to succeed, we can succeed too.

In truth, I am already successful...
in creativity
in friendship
in love...


In what ways are YOU successful that you haven't acknowledged lately?? What can YOU be proud of that you'd like to share here today? I want to hear about it and you better shout it from the rooftops!! ;)

5 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

well...each time a situation comes up with my teenager (who can be very mean, inflexible, blaming and thinks my car is hers), i seem to be handling it better and better. Therefore by the the time she leaves for college next year, i should be a pro at this and feel very successful that we both made it thru this very trying period alive. Or...I will at least have contributed to the economy by buying massive quantities of alcohol to get thru it!!! see...i can see the positive in things too!!:-)

humel said...

Good for you! *applause* Great post, so honest, and I'm so proud of how you dealt with your feelings xx

Me? I feel like I'm becoming a better teacher, more imaginative, better at behaviour management - and even when it goes wrong, the overall pattern is positive improvement :-)

chrissy said...

i love you!
i love your honesty...it is so refreshing.
i would have to say that i am not feeling like a very good parent of teenagers. i don.t have the answers. i don.t have enough patience sometimes. i just don.t feel equipped for the task.
BUT
i got a little love note from my 15 yr. old daughter the other night telling me how PERFECT i was just for her.
so maybe i AM a good mom to teenagers after all.
c

Kerri said...

oh, i know!!! sometimes it's hard to not just be jealous.

but, i also know you can't compare your insides to someone else's insides- (who said that? i don't remember, but i've heard it before) their situation may look different, better, than it feels...

Gwynnie B said...

Ah, jealously. Such an honest post about something we all have flare up now and again. I let jealously peek its head, then I un-invite it so I can celebrate all I have! The happier we are for others it seems the happier we become because sincerity is honest and way better than jealously!!