Thursday, August 12, 2010

While I'm Waiting...

I'm now waiting for my confirmation from Artful Journey that I have gotten my space to learn from Nina Bagley or Albie Smith. As last year, I'm slightly torn between instructors - they are both amazing, but I know that I really must take at least one class with Nina if she was going to teach at Artful Journey again and I'm so glad she is...



While I'm waiting I thought I'd share a few thoughts about this retreat...

One of the great things about Artful Journey for me is that it is not far from home - it may be a bit of a drive but it's a drive that can be done within 6 hours (no speeding this time, I promise!!). When I would read about other blogging artists and the retreats they were attending, I was longing for the opportunity to do the same but so many retreats take place far from my home and are just too cost prohibitive for me and my meager salary...I am SO grateful that this amazing retreat is within my means!

Now, many people will tell you that attending an art retreat is life changing. I have to argue that it is the ACT OF COMMITTING that is the most powerful thing you can do for yourself. The act of committing your time and energy (and finances!) to attending an event where you will be surrounded by like minded people, people like yourself is truly transformational...

  • when you COMMIT to immersing yourself in an activity that brings so much joy into your life, it is transformational and courageous
  • immersing yourself in such an environment really forces you to see yourself as an Artist...because you are one and you will get that feedback every day, all day
  • when you have taken such a monumental step, all other steps begin to look like a cakewalk...sometimes!
my girlie during the retreat class...

I can say from experience that making that commitment was the first step toward all the other events that have occurred in my life because after I registered for the retreat last year:

  • I wrote my first blog post
  • I received the first "call for art" from Patti Digh and made art that was accepted (twice)
  • I was invited to participate in the Ventura art exhibit and made art that was accepted
  • I opened my etsy shop
  • I've received an invitation to create art for a worthy fund-raising event

Mind you, some of these happenings were in the wings since I had laid groundwork for some of them, such as signing up on Patti Digh's blog to be one of the contributing artists months before signing on to the retreat and the same goes for my blog since I had opened the account months before actually posting. But after making the commitment to myself to participate in an event where I was allowing myself (yes, giving myself PERMISSION) to fully immerse in the activity of CREATING for THREE WHOLE DAYS - that seemed to be the catalyst I needed to allow myself to do all the other things that followed: blog, submit artwork, open my online shop...so in that way attending Artful Retreat has been life-changing. And it has been life changing because of the many amazing women I met at the retreat, that are now part of my artistic community, as well as the many bloggers who are an important part of my artistic community...

my girlie now completed...

When I returned from the retreat the first person I wanted to speak to about it was my dear Wise Woman. At the time, I didn't really feel that it was a HUGE life-changing experience, but as she pointed out in her wonderfully wise way: "It may not seem like a life altering thing now, but you will begin to see those life altering effects over time..."

and she was right.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the transformation as I await my confirmation for the next round of Artful Journey...

***   ***   ***

What will you commit to today to take you one step forward in your life as an Artist?? To get you going, here's my step for today:

I'm going to work on my creative color challenge for this week to submit by tomorrow!

I'd love to hear about your commitment to your art - please share! Your stories are so inspiring =-)

No comments: