Monday, August 2, 2010

A Return to "Currency of Strength" - IV

As I mentioned in this recent blog post, I have not forgotten that there is still more of the story of my "Currency of Strength" to share with you all...so let's refresh with checking back to chapters 1, 2 and 3 of the story before we proceed with this 4th chapter...after which the next posts will feature the artwork of the currency and the wallet I created for the currency. Please tell your friends about the upcoming "virtual exhibit" of this artwork so they can view it too! No one should miss this fantastic "exhibit"!!

Hopefully you have taken a bit of time to refresh your memory of the story so far, but if you haven't, I understand! It is a bit of history to cover so let me see if I can sum it up in one sentence for each chapter...

Chapter I: 
I discuss the inspiration source and link to J.S.G. Boggs, currency artist extraordinaire...

Chapter II: 
I discuss the women chosen for the currency and link to histories I researched and photos I used only to discover I could be infringing on copyrights - YIKES!

Chapter III: 
My personal odyssey into learning a LOT about copyright infringement and learning about Fair Use laws, which could help me avoid possible infringement issues...


Well, I think that about brings us up-to-date! What I am covering today is the Artist Statement that I had to submit with the artwork, and then re-submit in a truncated form later...


***   ***   ***

So far, the submissions I have made for publication or exhibit have required an Artists Statement about the work, which is something I enjoy since I like to discuss the inspirations and process of my work. In fact, I actually like writing an artists statement more than an artist bio - I have read so many bios that are SO dry and dull that I wind up writing funny, silly or cheeky bios for myself ;)

Since I had the idea of this currency in my head for several years it was pretty easy to write a statement about it. Here is the Artist's Statement that was submitted with the art piece "Currency of Strength" in it's original form (please note that I use "The Artist" here in place of my actual name):


Currency of Strength - Artist's Statement

"Currency of Strength" is a work created as historical and cultural commentary on the role of women in America and American History.

Inspired by the work of J.S.G. Boggs, The Artist realized that American currency did not feature historical women figures, with the exception of the Susan B. Anthony $1 coin and Sacagawea in the 2000 revision of the $1 coin, both of which were rarely used in daily circulation. "Currency of Strength" is her attempt to rectify this gross oversight toward American Women's History and Achievements.

The Artist has used women of great or little renown, many of which she highly revered during her childhood, such as Helen Keller and Wilma Rudolph. All of the historical figures used for representation in "Currency of Strength" display various qualities, or "Values" that enabled them to overcome adversity or display great strength through their individual achievements. Each piece of currency can not have a monetary attribution due to the intangible nature of the "value" of each "bill", therefore each individual piece of currency may not appear to have much worth, but the qualities of all the bill-notes work together to create a "currency of strength" that is of incalculable and invaluable wealth for any woman possessing this currency.

The Artist has created "Currency of Strength" to remind women of the strengths they bring to society. It has been designed as an educational work that informs the viewer of the great legacies these women left for society as the viewer handles each 'dollar' as though you are handling actual 'dollar bills'. She hopes this work may encourage women to ask for changes in our American currency to include notable figures in the history of Women in America, or perhaps inspire women to create their own currency using historical or allegorical figures that are of personal significance to them.



Hmmm, I do hope that wasn't too dry, dull or academic!! ;)

currency bills in progress...


A few weeks after submitting everything required and being accepted into the exhibit, I was then requested to write a shorter version of my Artists Statement; specifically, to condense the statement into 100 words!

OH NO!! How do I condense all the thoughts and ideas for this piece into a mere 100 words??!?!


Well, it's simple really - get to the real HEART* of the matter that I want to convey to the viewer and have them walk away with. Here is the 100** word Artist Statement I sent: 


"Currency of Strength" was created to remind women of the strengths they bring to society. It has been designed as an educational work that informs the viewer of the great legacies these women left for society, that remain with us today, as the viewer handles each currency 'bill'. The Artist hopes this work will encourage women to ask for changes in our American currency to include notable figures in the history of Women in America, or inspire women to create their own currency using historical or allegorical figures that are of personal significance to them.


a wallet full of valuable currency...



Yes, indeed, we women have made many, MANY contributions to society, no matter what country we live in and I am glad to see that many of YOU have listed your accomplishments on my recent blog post celebrating my one year anniversary of blogging here at The Creative Beast. Please continue to list your most cherished accomplishment for the year and something you hope to accomplish in the year to come at that post and you may win one of the giveaway prizes listed. Your lists have been AMAZING so far! And so inspiring...you should all be proud of what you have accomplished this year =-)

The "virtual exhibit" will begin tomorrow so be prepared to read about the accomplishments of some amazing women from American History!




* - a great writer and poet I've had the amazing opportunity to work with, once asked: "What is the CRUX of your story? If there was an earthquake and you could only convey the one important thing they should know, what would it be?" It is a good thing to keep in mind when telling any story...but more on that another day!

** - in fact, it's 95 words ;)

4 comments:

humel said...

Oh hun, this is just fabulous. It brought a tear to my eye :-) Your statement is beautiful xx

beth said...

Just catching up after some time away moving house - thank you for your sweet words!

So happy for you, looking back over these reflections and seeing your upcoming plans. Seems like things are moving along the creative path for you

BethXx

TJ said...

Your statement is as awesome as the project itself. Keep going!!

Gwynnie B said...

You are a big part of this Herstory as well, dahling! Because of your artistic vision more people will know about these strong women, and will also learn more about the cool chick behind them!! Woo hoo!