Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'm a published artist!

It finally arrived in my mailbox yesterday: my copy of "Four Word Self Help" by Patti Digh including artwork by yours truly!


my drawing in Patti Digh's new book, "Four Word Self Help"

Sadly my dear boyfriend had left for Chicago in the morning to visit his dear old dad so he could not be with me as I opened my package (though I had him on the phone while I opened it!) nor could he take any pictures of me with the book, which explains why some of them are not the best quality...but I am SO excited!!

OMG! I'm a published artist!!


The four word phrase my art is now paired with: "Let Kids Dress Themselves"


I don't think I mentioned that my drawing was being used for another four word phrase instead of the original one I was assigned (Let yourself be beloved) and I find it rather amusing to have been given the phrase "Let Kids Dress Themselves" - let me explain...

Back when I was studying Fashion Design and Pattern Drafting I had made a series of drawings of children in clothing, some of  it 'costumey' by the standards of the day since many children seemed to be wearing smaller versions of grown up outfits. One of my instructors and a few classmates suggested I should consider designing children's clothing! But I'm not sure little girls want to be in frilly dresses all day and I'm not sure little boys would be happy in "short pants"...but they do look so cute in such outfits!

I do wish I'd known about this phrase - I would have LOVED to make my girl into a 'paper doll' with lots of clothes designed by me, which I've actually been thinking of for quite some time. It would be fun to make some paper-dolls and paper-doll clothes! Maybe I'll make some anyway...

 I guess I should frame the original drawing now...

I took the book to bed with me to read over every bit and it is a wonderful book. Filled with thoughtful and thought-provoking stories that are the hallmark of Patti Digh's writing style for each section and filled with amazing artwork by artists from around the world. And of course, there is a section for you to write in your own four word phrases as they occur to you reading through this book.

One of my favorite phrases is "Surprise them with presence", which is in the chapter titled "Community" - maybe because it makes me think I want to surprise my friends with PRESENTS! Which is only natural since many of my friends have been surprising me with presents lately...

 Thank you Kat!! I've been keeping this one with me as a reminder...

 Thank you Gwynnie! I'll be filling my story book soon...

 
 Thank you Lauren for sending the extra goodies with my order - the 'music magnet' was a special treat!


Goodies in the mail are so wonderful when you least expect it =-) 

***   ***   ***

I posted that Patti Digh has put out another "call for artists" on her blog and some of you are signing on for the challenge - HOORAY! If you haven't seen Patti Digh's blog I do hope you'll make time to check it out and maybe even check the link from my previous post to sign up to make art for her next book. You won't regret it!

Now I REALLY can't wait to see the next book: "Creative is a Verb" and see what my artwork looks like in that book!!


Will you be the next one to sign on to make artwork for Patti Digh?? I sure hope so!

9 comments:

I Saw You Dancing said...

CONGRATULATIONS Monica!
You are truly an artist, though I should add that you would be even if your artwork hadn't been published. But how special to have this acknowledgement... and by Patti Digh, no less.
So very proud of you!
xxx

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh hearty congratulations, super work, yippee for you, love Posie

Louise Gale said...

Monica Monica! This is so fantastic Im filled with joy for you (and wish i was there to give you a hug and celebrate). A true accomplishment and milestone...so so so excited and yes i love the idea of the doll - you should TOTALLY DO THAT. Have a fab weekend basking in this, you deserve to enjoy every moment. xxx

humel said...

Woo hoo, congratulations - so pleased and excited for you!! This is amazing :-) (I know a published artist!! Hooray!!) I'm actually jumping around inside for you and trying to convey that here with limited success... But hey, take it as read that I am SO happy for you xx

Art and Clasp said...

Congratulations Monica! That is so super exciting! Enjoy the moment :)

Gwynnie B said...

Oh Happy Day, dahling!! Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. This is so cool you're a published ARTIST!!!!!!!!

Your art is fabulous, you are gorgeous and your soul is the sweetest. So happy we're friends :)

Cathy {Tinniegirl} said...

Huge congrats to you Monica. I am so happy to see those wonderful self portraits of you and the book. Just lovely. The start of great things to come. xxx

Lauren said...

a big congrates to you~!
And I am glad the badges arrived safely! :)

Gina said...

Hi Monica-

Congrats on being published! How exciting!

Thanks for stopping by my blog (http://uselessendeavor.blogspot.com) and for all the kind words you said about some of my posts. It is an amazing feeling when something I write resonates with a complete stranger.

It's great to "meet" you and I am looking forward to following your creative blog and reading your future posts!

Gina