Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Currency of Strength - The Virtual Exhibit Continues...

Hello and thank you to those of you who have been leaving comments about my 'virtual exhibit' I'm conducting here. I'm so glad you are enjoying it! I do hope it will inspire you to begin to think of women you would like to see on currency...though I suppose the bills look more like 'trading cards' than actual currency! Let's proceed with Day Two shall we??

***   ***   ***

Welcome to Day Two of Currency of Strength - The Virtual Exhibit. If you missed Day One you can go back and view it HERE.
 
Today we will discuss two other women...

Feel free to click on the images below to read the information on each bill...

The Women: Ida B. Wells & Jane Addams



Ida B. Wells

I did not know much about Ida B. Wells until the day I saw her mentioned in  (of all things!) a television commercial!! But after that commercial I wanted to know more about this woman...

I state that she was the first "Rosa Parks" but it is really not enough to say that about Ida...after all, no African American person, let alone female, at that time had the courage to sue anyone, especially a large company run by white men. The fact that she won her case is nothing short of a miracle during that time. She was so outspoken about lynching, that her lectures in England and Scotland brought much protest from these countries to make changes and rid these atrocities from America...and changes began to take place.

She was also the first African-American woman in the United States to run for public office when she ran for the Illinois state legislature. And did I mention she was a founding member of the NAACP?? What a trailblazer...


As an FYI, Dance for Cheese (formerly known as The Craft Gypsy) did a review of a movie that illustrates the many difficulties African American women faced during this time period Ida lived in. It's a great movie you should watch if you haven't already.




Jane Addams


I did know about Jane Adams from reading about her briefly in a book about another female heroine from my childhood, Mary White.* I thought Jane Addams would make an excellent candidate for the currency and I was not wrong...

As I mentioned in the currency, she was an outspoken pacifist during WWI, for which she received strong public criticism, negative press coverage and was regarded as unpatriotic...and for her troubles, she won the Nobel Peace Prize. ;)

She is well-known as the mother of social work as we know it today, as well as being a suffragist AND she was a chartered member of the NAACP, due to her connection to...Ida B. Wells! Did you know they both worked together to block segregation of Chicago's public schools? They also attended many protests for women's rights, alongside Susan B. Anthony! I was fascinated that Ida and Jane had actually crossed paths and worked together for civil rights and ending racism.




Here are quotes from these amazing women of achievement to consider as you set out to achieve your own goals:

"One had better die fighting against injustice than die like a dog or a rat in a trap."
Ida B. Wells

"The good we secure for ourselves is precarious and uncertain until it is secured for all of us and incorporated into our common life."
Jane Addams


***   ***   ***

Thank you for stopping by to see Currency of Strength here at my blog - I hope you are finding a source of strength to accomplish your own goals from these amazing women. Or you can read about real-life accomplishments in the comments from this post -  there are some amazing stories of accomplishment to be found and you can leave one of your own. Stay tuned for the last installment and read about more amazing women from American history!


* - in case you're wondering, I did not include Mary White in the currency since she was a young adult, but I am hoping to add to my currency and Mary will certainly be included in the future!

1 comment:

humel said...

I've learnt a lot through this as well as admiring your lovely work - thanks so much for sharing xx