Thursday, August 26, 2010

Creative Color Challenge Week IV - Sea Green...

Hello everyone! Thanks for all your kind words on my previous color challenge project. It was fun to make though I did not make another necklace yet due to a heat wave taking place this week. Luckily the color for this weeks Creative Color Challenge was a color to help keep me cool...

***   ***   ***

The Color:

The objective:
to create something using this color, plus black and white

The final product by yours truly:
a photography series and a 'flight of fancy'...


 
Tools of the Trade: sewing, knitting and crochet*

This weeks color was a REAL challenge - I own nothing with this color but I remembered that I did have some objects that once belonged to my grandmother that had the sea green color. I thought I could gather them together and photograph a vignette image of them....but things are not always as simple as they seem...

The first attempt at a vignette; I ditched the booklet in later images...

I am not a professional photographer by any means and  I've never taken formal classes but my mother studied photography as a hobby and she would often explain the process of it to me as she took classes to learn what she could - how to use lenses, black and white photography, lighting, framing the subject. She would often tell me that it was best to take as many shots of the subject as possible to find one really good one and I definitely understand what she meant...

 These images may look alike but there are subtle differences in lighting and the border surrounding the subject...and these images were taken within seconds of each other!
 

I went through over 35 shots taken on three different days, at different times of each day and continued to add other items as I remembered where they were...all the while racking my brain trying to figure out how to tie in these items to the theme of this weeks creative color challenge: "to the sea"...

I love the diagonal line - it's a strong visual and it's dynamic, but it wasn't working for this vignette at all...

...and this image was taken from a slight distance making a lop-sided border on the right and it appears to be "floating"...

Hmmm, how could I connect these objects to a 'sea-theme'? They are not from the sea in any way though they have the color of being from the sea. I began to think about the flotsam and jetsom that often washes ashore and began to photograph these items as though they could be specimens you find on the beach and I used one of my grandmothers old muffin tins to frame these objects, relics of a creative, handmade life lived...

 one of the better images with the double-pointed needles in a tidy row...but I like the simplicity of the first image I posted the best of all the images I shot with my camera...

I began to imagine that these were treasures washing ashore for me to claim as she relinquished them on her journey, crossing the River Styx and passing into the next world beyond. Treasures that would continue to connect us through space and time, remembrances of the creative legacy she bequeathed to me as she taught me sewing and knitting and learning to treasure the details of beautiful things...

Am I letting my imagination run away with me??!? ;)


"Treasures of a Creative Life Lived"


***   ***   ***

I really admire the skill in photography I see on blogs such as Simply Breakfast and my blogging buddies Chrissy at cul*ti*vate, Beth at Do What You Love and Gwynnie B Designs. Looking at these blogs is a great way to learn about styles of photography and the way others see the world...and Photography is a unique way to look at the world, through the 'lens' of a 2-dimensional medium of imagery in color or in black and white.

This color challenge has been a great project for the month and I'll be sad to see it come to an end. I do hope that Louise will consider making it an annual event - it's a great way to experiment with color and work with colors you don't usually use in your own personal palette, not to mention the amazing amount of creativity in the way everyone approaches each color for each week. Check them all out HERE. And you can see all my images for each weeks color challenge at my flickr page HERE.


Do you have treasures from the sea you cherish? Do you have treasures given to you by a valued family member or friend? What makes your treasures special to you? I'd love to hear your stories about them!


* - I'm not sure why my grandmother had a lighter since she never smoked but since I use a lighter to seal the ends of satin ribbon, I imagine she may have done the same and wanted a lovely lighter to use for the job - I certainly don't blame her for wanting lovely tools to work with =-)

5 comments:

humel said...

Love this colour, and love how you've responded to the challenge :-) It's really interesting to see and read about your creative process here - especially as I'm at a stage where I'm learning a lot about photography myself (though not necessarily applying all I learn when taking my shots, oops...!)

I would have picked the same photo, I think it's gorgeous, and the caption is perfect xx

Posie Patchwork said...

Oh i immediately think of the amazing sea green colours Amy Butler often uses in her fabric ranges, yummy. Love Posie

beth said...

Great pics - trial and error is the best way forward with photography (which is why digital is so fantastic!) That, and whatever feels good to you

Beth

danielle said...

You totally nailed those pics! Beautiful. Sea green reminds me of Martha Stewart...isn't that her favorite color?

I have SO MUCH to learn in the taking pictures department...

(SO happy to see you will be at AAJ in Feb. I'll see you there my sister-friend! xo)

chrissy said...

YOU
ARE
A
PHOTOGRAPHER!
i LOVE your pictures!
i especially love the story behind the treasures.
thank you so much for sharing it along with the story of your photography journey...that was awesome.
so clever to use your grandmothers muffin tin...how wonderful it is that you have all these precious reminders of a special woman who helped shape your life.

xo
c