Friday, July 9, 2010

No Clothes Challenge Update...

I've been meaning to post an update to my No Clothes Challenge that was inspired by the challenge posted at Magpie Girl and since she has posted her update, now is a good time to update you all on what's happened so far in my own challenge...

As I wrote when I took on this challenge, I have not bought any clothes, shoes, hats or handbags, but I did give myself the choice to purchase the occasional accessory which was a good thing or I could have been stuck when I was ready to buy my own piece of Nina Bagley jewelry at the Artful Journey Retreat! Though, it could be seen as buying an art piece as Mel so wonderfully pointed out to me ;)

I had hoped to do more sewing with this challenge and though I have not done as much sewing as I would have liked so far, I DID make myself a converted jean skirt this year! I made it from a pair of my dear boyfriends black jeans - I don't have a picture of it for this post but I will be sure to post a picture soon...

I have to say it's been difficult AND strange to NOT buy clothes, shoes, hats or handbags. However, I have seen my money go elsewhere - to art supplies!! It looks as though I will spend my money one way or another... =-\

Since Magpie Girl asked some questions of those folks participating in this challenge, I will answer those questions here:

  • Have you been going A Year Without Clothes? What have you discovered so far?
I have been going this year so far without clothes...and shoes, hats and handbags! No new or used clothes bought at the local thrift shop! I did however allow myself to buy accessories since I knew I couldn't go "cold turkey" and buy absolutely NOTHING and accessories are a great way to add some flash to a favorite outfit....

What I've discovered is that I have A LOT of clothes!! I also discovered that I was buying clothes because I like to have a new item to throw into the mix and this is easy to do when you thrift shop a lot. When clothes are inexpensive, I can bring home more than I really need. I did attend a "naked lady" party and brought a home a few items while giving a lot more away, including a HAT*!! The hat looked absolutely fabulous on the gal who is giving it a great home and new life! One of the items I brought back is fun and reflects my blog banner actually...

a fun pink t-shirt with periwinkle screen printing...


...does this word look familiar?? ;)


  • What are your thoughts in general about clothes and how you present yourself as a creative person thru dress?
My thoughts on clothes in general can best be summed up by Stanley Tucci in "The Devil Wears Prada":

"Halston, Lagerfeld, de la Renta...what they created was greater than Art because you LIVE YOUR LIFE IN IT ."  - (emphasis mine)

This quote is saying a LOT considering my love of ART!

We DO live in our life in clothes and they can be creative, beautiful, artistic or fun and whimsical, so why anyone would choose to wear bland colors and shapes is beyond me...

In terms of presenting myself as a creative person through dress, I have discovered that I have not been expressing myself as creatively as I'd like to, but this is due in some part to the fact that I have a "day job". I did make a decision to start ridding myself  of 'work clothes' this year since I realized that I am in a unique position that it really doesn't matter what I wear since I'm usually the only person in the office!! Not to mention wanting to have clothes to fit a lifestyle I hope to have in the future: self-sustaining, self-employed ARTIST!

  • What’s the best thing you’ve ever done to get a right-fit wardrobe for you? (Tips please!)

I'm not quite sure what is meant by "right-fit" wardrobe, unless it means getting things to fit correctly for my body shape. In which case, this is where my sewing skills come into play. I do a lot of altering or transforming of clothing one way or another: shortening hems on pants or skirts, taking in/letting out waists, shortening sleeves or removing them completely. And I have made a lot of my own clothes creating my own patterns of shapes and details that I love...

The best tip I can recommend is to read books on style, which I have done**. One of the best books around is "What Not to Wear" by Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine, who had a great show of the same name. What I love about this book is that they target specific body parts to highlight or camouflage, as needed. It's much better than the general body shape theories that are usually written about. There are many books on style out there and I have several - feel free to drop me a line and I'd be happy to share what style books are in my library =-)
***   ***   ***

So there it is - my No Clothes Challenge so far. I began the day after Thanksgiving on Buy Nothing Day and I think I've done pretty well so far. If  I can get this far without buying clothes, the rest of the year should be a cinch! In fact, since doing this challenge, I'll be making more thoughtful clothing purchases in the future as I continue cleaning and clearing in my life...


Are there any long-term challenges you've been working on this year? I'd love to hear about them =-)



* - this was a big deal considering how much I LOVE my hats!!
** - in fact, i have a collection of style books and articles I've pulled from magazines =-)

    4 comments:

    Rachelle said...

    MMMM...I love what you have to say about clothes being a part of your art that you wear everyday. I think that's one of the things I'm yearning to uncover in my year without clothes. I want to honor my clothing as art and expression, without getting sucked into clothing a status and consumerism. The fashion industry makes that tricky, but my Muse will help me find a way.

    Thanks for this intriguing peek into your journey.

    Louise Gale said...

    What a fab challenge, i sort of gave myself a bit of a no buying clothes challenge, but i failed and bought a new dress for my vacation! naughty me....but i love this and will check out magpie girls blog to find out mroe, thanks for sharing! xxxx

    humel said...

    Hooray for your 'no clothes' challenge, it makes me smile every time! :-)

    So glad it's going well, it's such a great thing to do. I'd love to see your jeans skirt some time as it's something I'd like to try myself xx

    beth said...

    Wow, very impressive! Made me laugh that your clothes money has been spent on art materials instead though!

    Thanks so much for the house wishes, wishing hard over here

    Beth