Monday, April 19, 2010

Some bits of Magic and some News...

A few bits of magic occurred last week and I thought some of you might like to hear about them...

On Friday, I was an audience of one for a special poetry recital from a wandering poet named Seamus Navarro* while working in LA's Skidrow area** and just in time for National Poetry Month!

He gave me a choice of themes to choose from, as if he had a "menu" of poetry to recite and I chose the theme of Truth. I don't remember it all but it was quite exciting, he spoke of Beauty and Art, more than about Truth and I DO remember this particular line:

"Beauty only grows more beautiful with age..."

That line certainly warmed the heart of this 44 year old!! I knew this "poetry recital" was a Gift from the Universe meant just for me...

 Seamus Navarro after the poetry recital...



Later that day I was lucky enough to receive a FREE ice cream at McDonald's during my lunch! They were trying to give it away to anyone who would take it and would you believe that a young lad of 8 years actually REFUSED this Gift from the Universe?!?!? His mother was as surprised as I was at that, but I guess the ice cream was meant just for me!


...and on Thursday I received the news that the drawing I submitted for Patti Digh's next book, "Four Word Self Help", was accepted and will be published in September, later this year...


my drawing for Patti Digh's upcoming book...my theme was "Let Yourself be Beloved"

Things are beginning to look up!

Thank you all for your wonderful support in the past few weeks - it means a GREAT deal to me to have such an amazing community of fellow artists.

I'm still dealing with my work difficulties, but after the amazing Gifts from the Universe, things are looking much better! I'm continuing to work on gifts/goods for the etsy launch and hope to have a date to share with you all soon, but I want to be sure it is an "auspicious" date, in keeping with Eastern philosophies...I want as much Good Luck/Good Fortune on my side that I can get!! ;)

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for reading! I hope to be back to my regular blogging schedule soon, so stay tuned...
 

* - I was fascinated by his Irish-Mexican name especially since I'm a Latina with a last name of Irish origin: "Moran"
** - sometimes my work takes me into the Skidrow area of Los Angeles; guess we should add 'put life in occasional danger' to the list of my work duties! ;)

8 comments:

Cathy {Tinniegirl} said...

Stay open to those gifts my friend. I'm sure they'll keep coming your way.

beth said...

wonderful news, both about the book and the ice cream :-)

danielle said...

SO excited for you Monica! How wonderful to be supported by the Universe and to have your ART published... xo

humel said...

Woo-hoo! So pleased some well-deserved happiness is coming your way xx

chrissy said...

whooo hooo!
doing cartwheels and all sorts of happy dances here in peoria arizona...
that is the BEST news about patti.s book.
I AM SO PROUD OF YOU.
congrats.
xoxo
c
( and i, for one, would NEVER refuse a free ice cream cone....)

beth said...

Love the passion in the comment you just left on my blog - I agree with you on all counts! Thanks for stopping by. Hope you are busy creating and making happy in your corner of the world
Beth

Anonymous said...

Just a side note: Seamus Navarro was my cell mate at Wasco State Prison, that is until it was revealed that he was locked up for sexually assaulting an 8 year old girl. Then he had to go. Just thought you should know who you're dealing with.

The Creative Beast said...

Dear Anonymous of June 29:
Thank you for sharing the history of Mr. Seamus Navarro.

I wish I could say I'm surprised by that information but I was in SKIDROW which is known to have a homeless community that is both criminal and mentally ill. It is the main reason why social services are needed for the low income families and children that live in that area, such as the agency I was working with until last week...

On a different side note: it's interesting to see that some criminals have a soul for poetry!