Friday, March 12, 2010

Self-Portrait for today...

I've been dealing with frustrating technical difficulties this past week, primarily at work, which has been quite a let-down after the recent excitement of returning from the Artful Journey Retreat and the artist reception in Ventura, CA for the gallery exhibit, "MARCH: Women and Strength". But I have done quite a bit of CLEARING around my office desk this week, in the hopes that it will make space  to allow a better paying job, close to home into my life...and it's an experiment in seeing what my desk will look like when I have vacated this job ;)

So when I read Nina Bagley's self-portrait challenge today, I thought I'd submit this image taken from my desk, since I feel it represents my current state of affairs and sometimes a self-portrait can be figurative and not literal...

"Darth Vader" with a dried flower in his helmet! hee, hee!


It does seem as though there have been bad forces ruling my computer this week and there isn't even a Mercury Retrograde happening!

I admit I've been feeling the pull of the power of the "Dark Side" lately, but I like to think the little dried flower represents that glimmer of hope tucked into a hidden corner of myself that keeps me from losing ALL hope that I will ever get out of this crazy job! (and keeps me from throwing my computer out the window!!)

Besides clearing my work space, though, another thing I'm doing is making an "art book" of all the little images, quotes, notes and random ephemera I've had around my desk. Then it will be in one lovely portable place. I have to say this project has been quite fun!

another figurative self-portrait: "office art book" in process...the cover is to the lower left...

...other bits of ephemera that I kept at my desk space will now go into my "office art book"...


I'll post pictures of the final book when it's complete...

Remember there's a giveaway happening at this blog and the drawing will take place on Monday, March 15. You can read how the giveaway works here and you can leave your comment at the end of this post.


And I will post about the gallery exhibit soon - there was lots of great stuff happening that night, including having an "Intuitive Drawing" made for me by a local artist! That was really cool, so stay tuned!


6 comments:

nina said...

LOL!!

stregata said...

Hmmmm, I hear the Dark Side has cookies...

humel said...

Sorry about the technical difficulties :-( Hope is all sorted out now x

The journal looks fab and I'm very intrigued by the intuitive drawing! And Darth is cool ;-)

Gwynnie B said...

My darkside prevailed over Pepperridge Farms Milano Orange cookies today...then I felt better and kicked some butt on my computer and all its technical difficulties attitude!!

And I just know with your strength and never give up, never surrender attitude you are going to find the right job. It's in the stars, dahling ;)

xo
Gwynnie

chrissy said...

LUKE.....i am your father!
hang in there dear friend.
this too shall pass.
loves to you.
c

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and me :)
Margarita