Friday, March 19, 2010

Nina's Self-Portrait Friday Challenge...

I debated whether to participate in Nina Bagley's "Self-Portrait Friday" this week since I have have not had a great day, but when she wrote:
 ..."document your feelings, your aging, your wisdom that comes with the experiences and years. document it all without fear..." (emphasis mine)
...well, I knew I had to take her up on that. So I ran outside to take this picture of myself (yes! another picture of myself this week!), wearing the necklace I bought from her, of course...

"Itching to be Stitched...with much-needed Laughter"


Does my "fed-up attitude" make me look fat in this picture?!?? ;)

It's been a difficult week at work for me, but it has been so for the last two years. The only thing that keeps my spirits up these days is when I work on my "office art book". Each page represents a part of myself or part of the story of my burn-out. It's a collection of the images, notes and quotes I've kept at my desk to keep up my spirits, but there were a few 3-D items that I wanted to include but are really too bulky to add, so I've taken photographs of them such as this little statue...

"May all your dreams come true" statue currently stands in the windowsill near my desk, as the image shows


There are some parts of the story that I'm not yet ready to write down, but there was a quote I made note of, that I found in my Environmental Science book that I felt really described the situation I eventually found myself in. Here is the page I created around that:

photo of tree in the local park where I work taken by me, with text added...

Here is what the quote states:

"...trees may be draped with vines, enveloped by strangler figs, and loaded with epiphytes (orchids and other plants that grow in trees), such that trees occasionally collapse under the weight of all the LIFE they support..." (emphasis mine)

Isn't it interesting how a description about tropical rain forests can also describe a work situation?? I was particularly enamored of the phrase "strangler figs"!

The "office art book" has been a great project and I also have a project I'm working on at home that has absorbed my evenings. Here's  a sneak peek:

jewelry made by me...

I'll tell you more about this project soon and I'll also be continuing with the story of my "Currency of Strength", so stay tuned!

Many thanks to Nina for challenging us to show ourselves without fear, warts and all. She is an amazing Wise Woman!

5 comments:

Posie Patchwork said...

OMG, i had to submit mug shots for someone else's blog today & was just about to post about this exact thing. Should you look happy, fun, dashing, serious, angles/ lighthing/ backdrops . . . plus i wear glasses or contacts, so do i wear glasses or not in the photo. Plus i normally don't wear make up either. Stay tuned . . . you look adorable, i hope i just look like me!!?? Natural. Love Posie

danielle said...

Good for you brave woman! I have experienced that since giving birth to my son...I didn't want any pictures taken of me after he was born....Well he's 7 now and I'm glad I gave in somewhat or there would be no proof that I was his mama!

Thinking of you and sending you LOVE!

Danielle xox

humel said...

Wow, and wow, and wow! That art journal is *such* a great idea!! Maybe I should start one to offload productively about my difficult days (of which I've experienced quite a few lately). The quotation is amazing, thanks for sharing. Gosh, yes - I have a few strangler figs hanging from me at times... And most intrigued by your sneak peek! x

Mindy Lacefield said...

its so good to see you! it brought back all the memories really fast.....our time in class, pilfering through the little town of los gatos, and enjoying meals in the cafeteria, plus long talks. you are an inspiration. miss you and love you!

Gwynnie B said...

You are a creative Wise Woman too, dear, and a brave soul who inspires! Your creativity is supporting you through this rough work patch. By listening to your heart you will graciously move forward. Sending you good vibes!!