Thursday, March 4, 2010

Artful Journey Chronicles - IV

Friday Night - The Artist Reception...

What excitement! The Artist Reception, where you can meet the other fabulous instructors and purchase a piece of their work. I had been waiting for this night so I could purchase a piece of Nina Bagley's beautiful and meaningful jewelry...

I discovered Nina (pronounced ny-na) when I was completing the registration form for the retreat and was faced with the question of who my second choice instructor would be if I didn't get in my first choice class...


Before the reality of that question, I didn't even consider I might not get into my class of first choice! But I was determined to attend this retreat so I went through the list of instructors, who were ALL amazing. When I saw the beautiful work of Nina, I knew I would love to learn from her, and this desire grew stronger as I began to follow her lovely and poetic blog, Ornamental.


I have to say that, though I was excited to meet Kelly Rae and Mati Rose, I really began to admire Nina and her writing and her work and I think I was more of a 'star-struck groupie' in Nina's presence than in Kelly's or Mati's!! Nina is VERY much a "Wise Woman" and you know how I feel about wise women...

I was determined to come home with a piece of Nina's jewelry* from this retreat and when the doors to the Community Room finally opened to the students, many of us made a speedy bee-line to Nina's table.

I was hoping to find something that would be 'screaming' my name and I did...


 
"stitched" by Nina Bagley, a bracelet I wear as a necklace; see how 'at home' it is among my sewing tools!

I found a piece of jewelry made of leather and silver with the word "stitched" engraved; vintage mother of pearl buttons, scraps of vintage lace and a silver bobbin cast from a real bobbin. I think this may be the most extravagant bobbin I own!

Though this piece was meant to be worn as a bracelet, I like to wear it as a necklace and Lesley Riley wears hers as a necklace also...ooooh! I'm in GOOD company! ;)

After the excitement of acquiring my Nina Bagley jewelry, I walked around to see what was happening at the table of Kelly Rae and Mati Rose. Kelly did not have any artwork to sell, but she did give everyone in the class a "create" totebag (yay!) so I still had something from Kelly Rae. Mati had prints, magnets and necklaces to sell so I came home with magnets for my creative play-space and a necklace with what I like to think is a little beast...a little beast with tube socks, as Mati pointed out!


 
magnets and 'little beast" necklace; my boyfriend thinks it's a cat but it still has tube socks!

Then I found a vendor selling many wonderful curios and oddities. Chrissy has a great photo of the porcelain limbs they were selling for just $1! I was thrilled to find some watch faces, glass tubes, faceted beads and more vintage keys...much of this will likely be made into jewelry in the future. You can find this fun vendor, Hannah Grey, at their website here...

 
'curiosities and drygoods' from Hannah Grey


Then I discovered the beautiful paper and book arts of Artful Journey instructor Albie Smith. So many beautiful books! Such beautiful paper! And wait until you see the work of her students I photographed on Show and Tell night! I decided upon purchasing this simple book because I really liked how the signatures expand beyond the covers - it's a great concept...

 
book by Albie Smith

Because I've already taken a few book binding classes, I knew the "lingo" so Albie was happy to discuss books with me. I know I've just got to take a class with her in a future Artful Journey retreat!


 
beautiful interior cover...

 
Albie informed me she dyed this paper with tea; this pic is a little blurry but you can still see the pattern - BEAUTIFUL!



It was quite a night...but I finally had to go to sleep for the next day of class ahead...

Stay tuned for the next installment of Artful Journey Chronicles!


* - though I put the question to many blog readers and good friends, I determined that 'accessories' are NOT really clothing, so accessory purchases will not count against me in my "No Clothes Challenge"; I will say though, since I don't do much shopping, to keep myself out of the path of temptation, I'm not running into very many accessories these days ;)

2 comments:

Posie Patchwork said...

Goodness, so much to look at, where to start, all fabulous, love Posie

humel said...

Oh, my - how beautiful! (All of it!) And the bracelet/necklace purchase is totally fine, because really it counts as a piece of art and thus definitely not clothing... ;-)