Monday, January 25, 2010

You're Asking - I'm Telling!

I've posted a few times about the fact that I am on the list of artists for Patti Digh's upcoming book "Creative is a Verb" and many blog readers have asked how I managed to do that. Well, here is how it happened...


After I ordered the book, "Taking Flight" by Kelly Rae Roberts, I was receiving repeated recommendations to buy another book. It was titled "Life is a Verb" by Patti Digh. I finally decided to peek into the book (it's so nice that Amazon lets you do that!) and found amazing snippets of stories that were funny or thoughtful or BOTH! As I read the book profile, it mentioned Patti has a blog, so of course I went to take a peek and I found more of the same funny and thoughtful writing. One day she posted that she was going to write another book and it would be titled "Creative is a Verb" and she invited anyone who reads her blog to sign up to participate in making art for the next book. I thought about it for a few days and then decided I would sign up! That is how I got on the list...


My own copy of "Life is a Verb" given to me by my dear boyfriend for Christmas - thank you honey!
I've gotten through most of it already...


It will be challenging since each artist will only have approximately two weeks to create the work around the theme of the essay you are given and this applies whether you signed up for one essay or four! The same format is being followed for her side project book, which she notified some of the artists about, as I mentioned recently.
Originally the call for art was scheduled for last October, but since she is a bit behind on the "Creative" book, the call for art had been pushed back and the new book project is taking it's place.

I find it interesting that these calls are coming in this year, when I've chosen to focus on more Art-FULL Creativity...
it makes me think of a statement made by one of the sports announcers regarding young figure skater Mirai Nagasu and her amazing performance at the US Nationals this weekend:



"We hate to break it to, you but your time is NOW!"


That statement really resonated for me: just because YOU think you aren't ready for something big doesn't mean the Universe and the World are in agreement with you!


Is there something big you want to accomplish but feel you're not ready for?? I bet you're more ready than you think! I'd love to hear about it =-)

7 comments:

humel said...

Thanks for sharing, that was so interesting :-) And good for you for going for it!

To be honest, right now I'm content. There's always new things I'd like to try, but the only thing preventing me is that I haven't got around to it yet! No big project.... Maybe I should think of one?!

pepper said...

woho! how exciting! what a super idea too, sometimes you can create some amazing stuff on a deadline! It kinda forces you to squeeze inspiration and creativity straight from your brain. Good luck!
x Pepper

The Creative Beast said...

How true Pepper, how true!! let's see what i can squeeze out of this jam-packed rain of mine! ;)

thank you ladies for your warm wishes =-)

I Saw You Dancing said...

"I bet you're more ready than you think." That is so true, my friend. These things never arrive at times of our choosing and, looking back, we ask ourselves, "How did I ever manage all that? I musta been nuts!"
You have reminded me of something that Mike Robbins said in an interview recorded for Mondo Beyondo. "We teach what we most need to learn."
YOU are so ready for this challenge. And it will be the most focussed and purposeful art you have probably ever made. And it will be magnificent.

chrissy said...

ohhh so exciting.
i was one of the blog readers saying..."tell. tell. tell"
so glad you did.
you will be AMAZING.
i just know it.
seeing you so very soon.
much love,
c

Posie Patchwork said...

Wow, congratulations!! Thanks for the ace comments on my post, kind of feel like you meant "brilliant for bothering to include your children by giving them things to creat with" as i often think people forget to constantly parent as they work. Your blog is cool, i'm following too, love Posie

Cathy (Tinniegirl) said...

I am so excited for you about this opportunity. It's wonderful that you took the chance and signed on up.

See you in a couple of weeks. Yippee!!!