Thursday, January 7, 2010

Looking Forward: No Clothes Challenge

I thought I would give a little update on one of the goals I began before the New Year - my "No Clothes Challenge".


I began this challenge after reading about it at Magpie-Girl and got inspired to do a version of my own, though it's a version that is just a little more extreme...at least my friend Margarita thought it was pretty extreme!


My plan is to use the challenge of buying no clothes*, new or used, as a way to utilize the many fabrics in my fabric stash and finally create the beautiful clothes I've dreamed of and designed...in my head! This means I am extending 'no clothes' to No Fabrics since I have a sizable stash of fabrics waiting to be sewn up into beautiful skirts, pants or jackets. I also listed doing some refurbishing and renovating projects for tutorials to share and I hope to get around to the project of re-lining an old favorite jacket as you can see below...



this is actually a boy's vintage car coat...

I've had this jacket for many years and it was given to me by a friend who got tired of it. It was in better shape when I first received it but I did wear it quite a bit when I got it and after a wash or two the lining began to come apart...

it has certainly seen better days...

you can see why it needs a new lining!

As a result, this poor jacket hung in my closet for a year or two, rarely seeing the light of day, but I've recently re-discovered its wonderful charms and have begun to wear it again**, though I know it's just wearing out the lining more...

i thought this fabric could be a nice contrast to the rugged-ness of the corduroy fabric...

I knew I wanted to re-line this jacket and that it could make a good tutorial for anyone interested in advanced sewing skills. I bought the fabric in the photo above just before Thanksgiving since it would be some of the last fabric I could buy for awhile! I'm not sure my photos do it justice but I took pictures just the same...just trust me when I say the unifying color is 'gold'!

here's how they look together

One of my dear friends is keeping me accountable for this challenge. Her name is Lisa and she currently teaches Fashion/Costume History in Florida. We spoke of beginning a blog about advanced sewing techniques and she was so excited about the idea she started the blog here. We hope to re-launch this platform soon and I plan on posting about advanced sewing techniques at that blog. I will have bits of the projects here to show you and those who are interested in the advanced techniques can pop over to the other blog for in-depth details =-)


And now for a question:

I thought I should be allowed a little lee-way during this challenge to purchase the occasional accessory like a scarf or jewelry but Lisa thought differently! I don't think accessories are "clothing". You'll see a note below that states this challenge includes shoes and handbags and Lisa thinks this should also include accessories like scarves, jewelry and belts!



What do you think? Should the challenge include accessories?? I'd love to hear your arguments for or against it!!


*- handbags and shoes are included in this challenge! Now you see why Margarita thinks it's extreme ;)

**- my dear boyfriend even commented on how cute I looked in my jacket the other day; actually he commented on my outfit as a whole and that really made my day!!

4 comments:

humel said...

Whenever I read that phrase 'No Clothes Challenge' I get *such* a mental picture... ;-)

Hmm. My gut feeling is that accessories shouldn't be allowed either, unless again you make them or customise what you already have. But, I could never go a year without buying any new clothes (even if most of it is charity shop finds) so I don't know if I'm the best person to advise!

The Creative Beast said...

HEE, HEE! Mel, you are SO funny! i didn't realize the phrase might bring some interesting mental pictures!! =-O

i had thought of including scarves in the challenge since i can knit, but then there is the occasional woven scarf that i just can't re-create myself. i can say that this will definitely be a challenge since i do love clothes, new or used! thanks for weighing in!

Kat said...

OH! You are a brave gal. No clothing purchases for a year? I can certainly see why that would be a good idea, but I would have no hope of meeting the challenge. (In fact, I woulda lost already.) And accessories are my biggest weakness.
Just wondering... what if the accessory you purchased was pre-loved? Or handmade from vintage materials and purchased via Etsy or at a market or somesuch? Would that be an acceptable loophole?
Not that anyone is looking for loopholes...! ;-)

prashant said...

i didn't realize the phrase might bring some interesting mental pictures!!

Work from home India