Friday, December 18, 2009

Special Gifts...

I thought I'd share some special gifts I've received from "Christmas Past"...
*** *** ***
One year, my friend Margarita made some really wonderful ornaments for me, with a Mexican flair; not surprising since she is also a Latina like me! She used images from 'loteria' playing cards and light weight tin to re-create the look of hammered silver which you can see on the angel tree topper below...this is what my "Mexican" holiday tree looks like this year.


this tree is currently in the office I work at...

I was really touched when she presented me with this gift of ornaments. I went looking for other ornaments that are used in Mexico during the holidays so I could have a full "Mexican" holiday tree when I'm feeling that vibe. I live in Los Angeles so I made a drive to visit Olvera Street and located many miniature tin ornaments that are common in Mexico during the holidays and I thought miniature sombreros and pottery pieces would be a fun touch. I also located bright colored flowers made from corn husks, which are also common...

I love the detail on these ornaments - Margarita has a great eye!

The following year she and worked on making a batch of ornaments together and I gave away some of the ornaments as gifts. I will always treasure these beautiful ornaments Margarita made for me...

I just couldn't believe the amount of work and detail Margarita put into the ornaments - look at the beading!

*** *** ***
One year I received a candle gift from an individual* who will remain nameless. My boyfriend saw this gift I received and wasn't very impressed by it until we checked it out at his home later that evening since it's a candle that makes noise.

Imagine the two of us cuddled together on the sofa at the end of Christmas Day, in front of his little apartment fireplace and listening to...well, you really have to listen for yourself so I made a little video for you all...I hope the sound comes out okay!





My dear boyfriend was rather horrified by what came out of this candle and I was not the only person to receive this gift!! I keep this gift for the value of humor it brings every year - it really is a gift that keeps giving!!


What are some treasured gifts you've received in the past? What are some not-so-treasured gifts you've received?? I'd love to hear your stories!!!


Many thanks again to the participants of the Donation Giveaway! I may have to do another giveaway like that again soon!


* - To be fair the giver of the candle did redeem themselves the year they gave me this lovely 'holiday treasure chest'; I now house many special ornaments in this lovely chest...

4 comments:

ChristinaLaFey said...

Mexican ornaments: breathtakingly beautiful.
Holiday chest: lovely.
Candle: I was falling out of my chair laughing. I'm so impressed that you were able to shoot that video without busting up! LOL! Wow, that's hideous. Hee!

chrissy said...

that was a great candle gift story...growing up someone made my mom this horrendous (sp?) baby blue knitted wall hanging with a large wicker fan and very bad plastic baby blue flowers coming out of it...my mom was a friend to "all" and kept it to "put up" every year just in case this "person" ever showed up to visit at the holidays....which they never did. Pretty soon, it started showing up in the family gift exchange. We would all roar when it made an appearance. It hasn't surfaced for a few years, but i can feel it coming.....thanks for the memory...
hope you are well....
much love to you.

Cathy (Tinniegirl) said...

I'm at work so I can't watch the video, but I love the ornaments. They are really beautiful.

humel said...

Lovely ornaments :-) I never thought about how different traditions would have different kinds of ornament!

Not sure I dare play the video, my kids are in the room.... Might have to wait till they're in bed!